The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Trading My Sorrows


Because of the combination of early morning and late evening meetings all in one day, I arrived home today to be greeted by a granddaughter who hadn't seen me since Monday.

The exuberance of her wild and kissy hello was not lost on me. To have that much energy come from a little one who not that long ago lay listless in a hospital bed was beyond the expectations of the groaning-prayers offered in the anguished hours of early mornings in March. To have that much shiny joy concentrated in one small, now healthy body, giglging and squealing and bouncing with unrestrainted delight, is nothing short of a good and perfect gift from the Father of Lights.

Later, as I was combing her wet hair after her bath, she asked permission to jump on the bed. I asked her not too, because I was sure that if she did while we were combing her hair, it would hurt her. She paused for a moment, and then began to move her legs and hips in a subdued, swaying and totally uncoordinated kind of way and asked, "Would this hurt?" I said I didn't think so.

And there we were, combing her hair while she did her silly hair-combing pseudo-dance of joy.

And, Father of Lights, I just wanted to say thank you.

No comments: