The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Song for Duang

October 2008.

We are outside on the porch of the guest house at Doi Saket I, an Asia's Hope orphan home near Chiang Mai in Thailand. Imagine a good sized deck with wooden bench chairs all around. Young adults all of them, some with their own babies playing in the middle of us, line the benches and cover the floor. They are the Staff of the orphan home who, as well as caring for the hands on needs of the 100 or so children who live here, participate in the spiritual and educational development, including the programming. Right now they are practicing music in preparation for the retreat planned for the weekend upcoming.

There is only one guitar, but lots of great harmonies, especially from the young men. Many of the songs I know. One in particular - Give Thanks - is sung in both Thai and English. Words have been printed out on a paper because the Staff is just learning this one. A young man beside me offers to share his paper with me so I smile and hold it with him, even though the song is written out in Thai script and I can't read it. Doesn't matter. When they get to the English part, I sing along just fine.

And now, let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich"
Because of what the Lord has done for us

It's hot and there is a fan set up even though we're outside. Locusts scream quietly from the trees, sort of a tropical background vocal effect. Babies happily move among us. The singing is strong and comforting and disturbing all at the same time. I find I have to stop because it's making me cry.

It occurs to me that around me, singing with great energy, are people who have far less and have suffered more weakness than I will ever know. Yet, in the short time I have been privileged to know them, I recognize a depth of spiritual resource, a strength of spirit, a joy and gratitude that I very much need to inspire and energize my own faith.

I am remembering that night on the porch this week because Duang is gone. He was one of the young men lending harmonies and life into that moment. So was his wife Lew. But last week a fatal accident took the life of Duang and has left Lew and one of their two daughters, Kelepaw seriously injured, still tenaciously recovering in hospital.

So my heart is singing for them quietly right now. That the poor may know infinite riches in Christ. That the weak in body may gain miraculous strength. I sing and pray for the community at Doi Saket, and all there whom I sang with that night and carry in my heart - for the intensity of their grief to propel them even deeper into the arms of God.

My dear, dear friends. How my heart aches for you. I wish I could be there with you to share in your sorrow by your side. As it is, I share it with you from so far away, but very close in spirit. Thank you for all you have been teaching me about being rich and strong. May God hold you together, grant you peace, and give you everything you need for life and godliness as you grieve this terrible loss.

Groaning, and singing, with you,
Ahjahn Rut

No comments: