The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Unlawful Intruders of the Soul


“When our souls are restless, when we are driven by thousands of different and often conflicting stimuli, when we are always “over there” between people, ideas and worries of this world, how can we possibly create the room and space where someone else can enter freely without feeling himself an unlawful intruder?”


Henri Nouwen Wounded Healer, p 90


Father, it's been one of those days. A thousand different and often conflicting stimuli dragged me out of my high expectations for concentrated order and left me in a crowded space where my friends could certainly have felt to be unlawful intruders. I had so hoped to establish a degree of peace to begin my work week. It helps me to be more welcoming.


But the day has been what the day was, and I settle now into my pre-sleep meditations seeking Your Spirit to calm the ideas and worries of this world, and to find my rest in You, and to let this day go like a balloon into the vast vanilla sky of Your perfect eternity. I let it go. And watch it become smaller and smaller until it's completely gone.


And I beg of You to work in me the renovations that will create the space and room You need in me to accomplish the love You've call me to do.


I'm glad You don't sleep.

I'm glad You grant sleep to those You love,

Because I need Your love

And I freely fall into Your sleep tonight.


No comments: