The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Anything-But-Holy Week

Dear Friends and Journeyers,

It’s called “Holy Week”. This. Right now.

The week we’re having right this minute, starting last Sunday and going right to Resurrection Morning.

It’s supposed to be a time of self denial, meditation, sombre reflections on the severity of Christ’s supreme gift, followed by the wild and grateful surprise of celebration when we get to the part where Jesus comes alive! Contemplative. Serene. Wild worship. Holy.

But I wonder how many might be having a week more like mine – too busy with unexpected additions to the already too-long list, bumping into dysfunctions – mine and others’, all making me more annoyed than grateful, more irritated than celebratory. Definitely not holy!

Or maybe it’s just me.

That’s why, when I walked into the church basement this afternoon, I realized just how badly I need Easter.

Karen Adourian and her diligent crew are worshipping their way through the set up of a stunning series of stations designed to provide an opportunity to move into the holiness of this weekend. With more space and separated quiet places than in any of our previous Holy Journey’s, the transformation of space and time is striking. And so are the understandings that come out of the observance of what this week represents.

I so badly need Easter! This week reminds me, even in the un-holiness of it – no, especially in the un-holiness of it - that I need the death of Jesus to cover the wretched debt I’d so impossibly owe otherwise. I need the resurrected life of Jesus to infuse the beyond-my-humanity, abundant life He’s promised, AND He delivered so spectacularly that first Resurrection morning.

I need Easter to be the hope for the One Day that makes every day, even crazy, un-holy days, make sense. I do truly hope you're having a fabulous Holy Week, I do. And if you are and if you're not, please don't miss out on the chance to pull it all together somewhere inside your soul. At Highview, for anyone within driving distance, you can come either Thursday or Friday for both the Holy Journeys AND In The Name of Love. And you will want to make sure to be here Sunday morning to finish the story right and celebrate or investigate, whichever describes you best. Because you and I, we badly need Easter. We do. I do. Can't wait to see what God's going to do for you this weekend.


Holy Journeys at Highview - Thursday, April 21 - 1 to 7 p.m. Friday, April 21 - 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

In the Name of Love at Highview - Thursday, April 21 - 7:30 p.m. Friday, April 22 - 7:30 p.m.

Love's Got Your Name On It - Sunday, April 24 - 10:30 a.m.

2 comments:

Mama Squirrel said...

Ruth Anne, I thought you might be interested in this family's journeys, particularly their upcoming year in Thailand.

http://booksandbairns.blogspot.com/2011/04/begin-begin.html

Blessings,

Mama Squirrel

Rev. Ruth Anne Breithaupt, MDiv. said...

Thanks so much! Blessings for Easter.

Ruth Anne