The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, July 8, 2011

Turtle Breaths

Her name is Tamu.

She's a snapping turtle, about 10 years old if I'm reading the nature books right. She's probably about the size of a large dinner plate across her shell, but I'm only guessing that by the size of her head.

Tamu hangs with me in the evenings, between the dock and the shoal. She's a shy gal, keeping her distance mostly. But I'm thinking that my reputation on the dock of being quiet and still is helping her trust me more. She's popping her head up just a little closer each time.

Tonight I can hear her breathing.

You know it's quiet when you can hear a turtle breathing.

When I'm here on the dock, I realize how noisy my life is at home. Not just the city stuff, but my soul. Sometimes there's so much going on, I'm not even sure I'm breathing, spiritually. I can't hear the breaths of my soul.

So I'm glad for Tamu, and for being so quiet and still on the dock. And how lovely to the ears of my soul are the breaths of a turtle.
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

1 comment:

Juanita said...

I know what you mean about the "noisy" in our souls. I'm feeling it...although when I was at Eden...the time was there for stillness and every time I asked Him what He wanted to say to me, I heard Him say, "Rest".

How beautiful to hear a turtle breathe...sigh.

Enjoy the stillness this week.
Love,Juanita