The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Time for an Update





I've been here in Thailand now for - wow- 16 days already!  It's been an incredibly busy time, and I've given more attention to the Team blog - Highview to Thailand http://highviewtothailand.blogspot.com/-  than my own personal blog.   I'll suggest you go there to get more details about this 2013 Trip and the adventures of the 10 Highviewers who are here for another incredible visit with our Hot Springs kids.

For now, for me, I just want to introduce my new little guy Eg.  These past six years I've had the great privilege of sponsoring Thim, a lovely young lady who will graduate this year and head off to university.  She's here now still, and beautiful and strong and ready to take on the next steps of her emerging adult life.  I'll continue to sponsor her, for sure, as is our option as Sponsors with Asia's Hope.

But last year when Suradet asked if we could add three more children to our Hot Springs family, I agreed to take on one of them.

Here he is.

It's a surreal thing to make the connection.  The language and culture barriers, although SO much less than when I was first getting to know Thim, still make for some shyness for both of us.  I don't want to come on too strong, or be in his space too quickly.  I am after all, a stranger, and an old white lady from Canada to boot.

But...he's so cute!!!  Eight years old but very small.  Looks more like five, really.  However, what he lacks in physical stature he makes up for in spunk.  This little guy is the first to volunteer when I ask for a child to come help me tell a story during devotions time.  He's right in there on the football (soccer) field with all the bigger kids, running like crazy and afraid of nothing.  And his little face is concentrated and joyful when he sings for all he's worth during worship time.

Already I love him.

I do.  It's what happens.

Someone once said, "Love like you won't get hurt."  That's what I'm doing.  And I know it.  These kids are so vulnerable, even now in their rescued state.  They grow up.  They leave home.  Just like here.  And my heart wants to stay connected with Thim, but she's under no obligation whatsoever.  I'm hoping that the fact she calls me 'mother' is a good sign.  Eg is a fair bit aways from that yet.

Five spaces are opening up at Hot Springs.  One child most probably already has a Sponsor, I just have to confirm.  But there are four more faces, just like Eg's.  For more lives.  For more children who will receive a roof over their heads, nutritious meals every day, an education, an identity, some dignity.  Four more children who are waiting to be adopted into this incredible family.

If you want to be part of the love, you can email me at rabreithaupt@buildingbiggerhearts.ca.  I'd love to tell Suradet, before I leave on April 4th, that all five children are spoken for.

No comments: