The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Lifting Sails

It's totally crazy how stuff clusters.

The fall began more or less as I expected, and in happy rhythms of Sabbath, giving way to pressing into work, giving way to Sabbath again.  Times outside, by the pond or on the patio, helped elongate summer's restorative benefits, even as the pace picked up and seasonal events unfolded.  Life and people seemed at ease with one another.  Community purred.  All was good.

Then, beginning about two weeks ago, the first little ruffle seemed to let in a series of random and unrelated gusts of unhappy surprises, not unheard of in my 'line of work', but unusually clustered and all coming out of left field.  Each difficulty took me completely by surprise.  I would leave the conversation, or finish the email and say to myself, "I didn't see that coming."

Like I said, it's random and unrelated, each situation oblivious to any of the others.  But, almost every other day since it started, there's been one unhappy surprise after another; one surge of adrenaline, or dip of sadness, or even rise of anger after another requiring the disciplines that keep me centered and calm.

Perhaps not-so-randomly, I recently received my special edition of Steve Bell's 25th anniversary collection entitled "Pilgrimage".  Amongst its generous offerings is a guitar and voice only rendition of the traditional hymn "I Feel the Winds of God Today."  Love it.

It's simplicity and honesty has encouraged me.  The strength of the resolve to say with conviction, "today my sails I lift" when you know there is drenching spray ahead....  I find I am braver because of the gentle melody and gutsy lyric that sets me back to sea.

I include the lyrics here, in case anyone is in need of some grit to lift the sails this day. 

And it's with joy and deep gratitude that I realize the abundance of my life, the loyalty of friends, and the anticipation of visiting my Thai family starting in just a few days. 


I Feel the Winds of God Today (Kingsfold)
Music: Traditional, Lyric by Jesse Adams – public domain

I feel the winds of God today
Today my sail I lift
Though heavy oft with drenching spray
And torn with many a rift

If hope would light the water’s crest
And Christ my bark will use
I’ll seek the seas at His behest
And brave another cruise

It is the wind of God that dries
My vain regretful tears
Until with braver thoughts shall rise
The purer brighter years

If cast on shores of selfish ease
Or pleasure I should be
Lord let me feel Your freshening breeze
And I’ll set back to sea

If ever I forget Thy love
Or how that love was shown
Lift high the blood-red flag above
It bears Thy name alone

Great Pilot of my onward way
Thou will not let me drift
I feel the winds of God today
Today my sail I lift



[I wish I could offer a link so you could actually listen to the song if you wanted, but I can't seem to find one.  So, if anyone finds one and wants to post it in the comments, or email me, I'll include it at a later date.]


No comments: