The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, June 2, 2017

An Open Letter from Highview's Pastors for our 20th Anniversary



Philippians 1:3-7
I thank my God every time I remember you.  In all my prayers for all you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

June 4, 2017 
My Dear Highview Beloveds,

Yes!  This!

I don’t know if it’s something of a pastoral cliché or not.  But Paul’s words to the Philippians just rang too true for me not to include them in my 20th  Anniversary letter to all of you. 

I DO thank God every time I think of you.  Every time.  When I look back over 20 years and see who we’ve become together, all that we’ve been through, the gains and losses, blessings and curses, and all the ordinary stuff of living out kingdom realities together, as we’ve sought to simply Love God, Love People, Go and Grow.  Every bit of it, and I mean that.  Because you have demonstrated grace and generosity and openness and resilience every step of the way. 

And the partnership we’ve shared in the gospel DOES bring me huge joy.  HUGE.  When I see how you respond with passion and persistence to the needs of our now-extended family that somehow, by God’s hilarious imagination, actually includes treasured loved ones from both around the world and just down the street. 

And without question, God continues His good work in us.  Any of us who are using our gifts, stepping out to take risks spiritually, or gaining ground in defeating the chains of the past.  Anyone pushing aside the compulsion to ask, “What’s in this for me?”,and instead reaching out to those around you to ask “Can I help you with anything?” Any one of us who understand better now than we did before how to pursue intimacy with God, how to steward what He’s given us, and how to be salt and light in the world around us.  Anyone who’s crossed that line of faith, been baptized and declares to the world that Jesus is the One we follow.  All of this and more is evidence of the work of God’s Spirit among us.  Work that He’s not completed yet, but which is clearly being accomplished in us in that magnificent, ongoing way He’s famous for.

Which makes a 20th Anniversary more of a beginning than anything else.

Because here we go, into the future.  Big changes are ahead, which means all the more opportunity for God to do His good work among us.  Because change requires reflection and openness and growth and courage and a love for what we’re doing that transcends a love for what we’ve been.  So with all my heart I lean forward with you into what God will unfold for us in these next years; three, five, ten....20. 
Thank you.  Thank you for being you.  For allowing me this great honour of walking with you these past 20 years, some of them your pastor, but all of them your friend.

Thank you for your faithfulness.  Always.

I love you with all of my heart.

Ruth Anne


 

June 2017
 
Dear Friends,

Wow! 20 years! 

My family and I are newer members of this community than some of you. Dave and I first began attending Highview in the summer of 2010, after moving to Waterloo Region from Hamilton. I had had some interactions with Highview in the past (I attended Pitch and Praise with Highview’s youth group when I was in high school!) so when we found ourselves looking for a church community in the region, this seemed like a good place to start.  

I knew a few of you coming in, and through the same friend that brought me to “Pitch,” I knew some of your stories too. 

From the beginning, I confess that it was your stories that drew me. I was intrigued. I was curious. I wanted to know how God could bring such very different people together and make that work. I wanted to know how a church could come through some of what you came through, and still be loving one another and loving God. 

Seven years later, it is your stories that draw me still. They are stories of courageous grace, powerful and transformative. They are stories of how the Spirit drew you out of your comfort zone into creative new ideas, like TGIF and Let it Be Christmas. They are stories about courage, whether that means stepping outside your walls into Regions Beyond, or simply choosing forgiveness when holding a grudge seemed like the logical option. And they are stories of welcome, about how God welcomed you, and now you make it your business to welcome others in His name. 

Your stories are beautiful, Highview, and if there’s one thing I want to say to you as we move out beyond the 20-year mark, it’s that God’s not done writing our story yet! 

There is much to celebrate, and there is much still to come. As we step forward into Vision 2020, and beyond, I find myself excited! Excited for how God is leading us deeper into relationships in our immediate neighbourhood. Excited by your compassion for the poor and displaced, which is breaking through in initiatives like Friends Without Borders, and excited to watch our young adults run with the baton of leadership and faith handed to them by Highview’s founders. 

I am so very thankful for how you have welcomed me into your story, Highview, and I am very excited to see what the next chapter of our story might hold. 

Erin





No comments: