The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Saturday, June 23, 2018

The Orchid Thing

Something large and lovely and quietly quirky is happening with my orchids right now.

I have three plants, and all three are in vigorous bloom right now.
All three.
At the same time.
So lovely.

But I would also call it quirky, for a few reasons.

For one, I am no gardener, and that they have not just survived me but are performing so well for me is an amazement in itself.

Secondly, I've had these plants for varying lengths of time; two for a few years already, and one just since last September.  Normally at least one of them is 'happening' at any given time, sharing their joy with me, while the other two are dormant, waiting their turn.  Usually just one at a time is all I get.  Not now.  Right now all three are about as vibrant as they could be.  And, like I keep saying, all at the same time.

But the third reason this seems quietly quirky has to do with a prayer that was offered on my behalf at my ordination eight and a half years ago.

I love how Judy prays.  She is one of the Board of Directors of the Ministerial Fellowship under which I hold my ordination.  On that day, midst the cluster of other ordained leaders who stood around me, laid hands on me and offered their prayers and blessings, Judy described a cascading orchid, breath-takingly beautiful, full of strength, opening in vulnerability to avenues of ministry as yet unseen.  Judy prays in pictures, and her words were vivid and emboldening, marking the significance of that particular moment in my spiritual formation.  I had no orchids then, and found her picture lovely to imagine, but not necessarily holding any special meaning.

Not then.

But I when I arrived home last Friday, having been away for three weeks, still very raw and reorienting following an enormous relinquishment....

And I saw all the orchids there together by the window, being all splendid and spectacular like that....

And when I remembered how each plant came to me...

One from my husband because he thinks I'm beautiful....
One from a friend to remind me of God's beautiful work in Thailand...
One from the leaders at Highview to thank me for serving with my whole heart....

I caught my breath.

I realized that each plant represented a passion of my heart.

And here they were.
All of them being bold and confident and beautiful.
All at the same time.
Right now.
At this very time of my life.

I've been pressing into intimate pictures with God these past weeks.   Down by the water, so still.  Deep in my spirit, so not still.  "Remind me," I've been asking Him.  "Remind me again why we're doing this?"

And then I come home to the orchids.



And yes, I am aware that in many ways I am ascribing meaning to these things, piecing together the puzzle bits from eight years ago, and down on the dock these past three weeks, and the moment of reminding when I got home on Friday.  And ascribing meaning to the giver of each plant.  And the fact that each one is blooming so robustly...right now.  Right now when I need to be reminded that God is orchestrating all things for good, for beauty, for strength, for love.

Yes.  It's what I pull together, holding it around me like a wrap of reassurance against the chill of this new territory upon which I embark.

And its large and lovely and quietly quirky
                                                                           and I love it when He loves me like this.

 


No comments: