The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, February 8, 2019

Traveling Mercies and Motivations


We love because He first loved us.   
1 John 4:19



It’s freezing rain, the dangerous kind, and very dark and rather miserable, and we are driving along the 401 at 5:30 in the morning.  How ironic, I remark to Ken, that I am now in a vocational situation where I work from home and normally I would never have to go out into this kind of weather at all.  Just stay home with the fire on and call it an ice day.  Yes, some tea would be nice too.  But here I am.  The freezing rain doesn’t stop me.

Because of the weather and our decision to give plenty of time, I’m early to the airport now and the ticket booth hasn’t even opened yet.  It will be an extra hour of waiting, standing in line, before my large bags are checked and I can get through security.  So here I am.  And the extra hour of waiting doesn’t stop me.

There’s the normal three hour stint of waiting between security check and boarding, all the while the weather outside rages.  Floor to ceiling windows reveal the lengths to which everyone is going to help make sure planes can land and take off safely.   With all the plows and salt trucks and crusty planes going back and forth across my large-widowed view, I confess, it doesn’t look safe to me.   Ice everywhere.  I get word that Ken has returned home without incident and am grateful.  Time to board now.  The worrisome view doesn’t stop me.

It takes a while to get final clearance for takeoff.  Other planes are delayed, and now so are we.  We wait an hour.  But then we are encased with ice ourselves.  It’s another hour before we can be de-iced and get clearance for departure.  I’ve now been ‘traveling’ for 8 hours and haven’t really gone anywhere. 
Never mind.  All this sitting around and waiting will be in sharp contrast to the ridiculously close connection time in Seoul. 

What was supposed to be a reasonable two and a half hour layover now becomes a mad 45 minute dash to de-board, be greeted by Korean Air ground staff asking for those going to Chiang Mai, get whisked away on a golf-cart across the multiple kilometres of Terminal 2, be rushed through security, and then literally run at least another half kilometre to my gate where, breathless, I arrive just as everyone is boarding.  No time for any freshening up, stopping for a snack, checking in online, going to the bathroom, nothing like that.  Just running.  I buckle my seat belt and prepare for takeoff still on an adrenaline rush.   The benefit will come just a little later when the corresponding dip will help me sleep for most of the five hours of this flight.    I’ll need it.

The plane arrives on time to Chiang Mai.  But.  Seems a lot of flights have arrived exactly the same time and I cannot remember being in a longer line to get through customs.  It takes another hour and a half.  I make friends with two women travelling to visit the missionary sister of one of them whose, you won’t believe this, maternal grandparents were Breithaupts.  I’m not kidding.  They’re from Kansas.  So, what are the odds?  The line-up chit chat and figuring out how we’re related (how, not if, it’s just a given with the last name Breithaupt) helps pass the time. 

I’m finally through customs and have my bags and have been appropriately and wonderfully embraced and loaded into the truck and patiently listened to as I recount the adventure to get here.  Probably one of the more challenging trips I’ve taken here in the past eleven years.   

It will provide a great story to tell the children the next day for our first time together at evening worship.  And it will be a reminder again of why I’m doing this.
I frequently hear comments about how long and difficult the trip is, even without ice storms and delays.   And I was asked not that long ago what would motivate me to take such a risk as to take on the new responsibilities that are now my work in Thailand.  In the context in which the question was asked, it was not hard to hear “You’re crazy” as an unspoken echo at the end of it. 

And I guess the truth is, I am.  Crazy in love with the kids who listen to me telling them that nothing within my control could stop me from coming to see them.  I’m more tired and stiff than usual, but truth is, I don’t mind whatever extra inconveniences might happen along the way.  As long as I can be here with them.  What a gift. 

So much love.   

Love is courage.  Love is tenacity.  Love is inconvenience and discomfort and sacrifice.  Love covers a multitude of sin.  Love motivates.  Love sacrifices and barely notices, except maybe to be able to record the particulars in a blog somewhere.


 
And I remind the children that my trip was nothing compared to the lengths God went to buy their redemption.  February is a month of celebrating love.  The greatest risk was motivated by the greatest love of all.   

Let the month of love begin.
I’m here, finally, and it was oh so worth it.
Let the love begin.

No comments: