The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Silent Saturday



Words and words and words.
For all the words coming at me, relentlessly, 
on the news and in my newsfeed,
And all the words I’ve written this week 
in what ended up being an everyday reflection,
And all the words I’ve written for my paper, 
and sermons, and oh so many emails lately,
Or spoken on the phone,
And for all the words written 
in every gospel that describes the hell of Holy Week,
Come Saturday and ---

God lay silent.

Feels like I should do the same.
Just.  Be.  Quiet.
Just.  Let.  God.  Not.  Say.  Anything.

And still be God.

And that’s the thing.
Those disciples on that first Saturday between.
They had no idea.
God was still God but it looked like He wasn’t.

So much was happening
Cosmic noise and commotion.
One big battle in the name of redemption.

But it didn’t seem that way.
Just the silence of a tomb locked down.

Strange how a world pandemic
Imitates the pause.

No comments: