The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, April 26, 2024

Not So Random Acts of Kindness

 



When a friend who knows you're sick with a cold asks, "Can I bring you soup?" and it arrives in this giant container, and you eat a lot because it's truly a soup-deluxe experience, and this is how much you have left over!

I'm feeling so much better by this morning, and I have no doubt that it's due at least in part to the good medicine of soup-from-a-friend, and the thoughtful TLC that comes with.

And here's another little big thing. The plant beside the soup, which originally I just put there because I thought it would make the picture a little more interesting, is also from a thoughtful friend.

She saw a picture I had taken in Thailand of something that was growing in the garden Yupa's already started on the new property, and recognized it. Brought this over so I could have a little bit of Thailand with me on my kitchen counter.

And if I wanted to continue with not-so-random acts of kindness I've received, this post would be crazy-packed with pictures and stories. My friends are good. I am a rich woman indeed.

And it brings me back to one of my favourite texts and a point I made not long ago in a sermon.

"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters,
stand firm. Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord,
because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain."
1 Corinthians 15:58

To define "work of the Lord" we have to go back to the rest of that chapter and realized it wasn't just about "church work," as much as we might use that term most often to describe what those in full time ministry are up to. And if we're not carefully we might think of that as the "big stuff." But it's not really.

Instead, the "work of the Lord" can be understood as anything that is moving God's heart-agenda forward towards peace, and reconciliation, and love, and justice, and all things being "on earth as it is in heaven."

And actually, I think this is the big stuff.
And not just because I so thoroughly enjoyed my soup-gift yesterday. Or because this little plant is managing to survive in spite of me.

But because of all the stories out there where something that seems so small ends up meaning so much.

I guess one more point to make on this is that each of these friends expressed their kindness in line with who they are and how God has wired them up. Making delicious meals and growing beautiful things are second nature to these ladies. And while there is no doubt effort involved, there's nothing forced or artificial about it at all.

I love it. Because it means every one of us can make a difference.
No act of kindness is wasted.
There's this incredible ripple effect about it all.

It's been a week.
Glad for the kindness of friends.
Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments: