The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, January 30, 2015

Empty House, Full Heart

I arrived home from the airport on Thursday, and the house just felt so cold and empty.  I'll adjust.  Ken and I enjoy our simple, quiet evenings of these empty nesting years very much.

But in these days immediately following three weeks of three extra people, laughing, talking, singing, cooking, praying, marveling and being family together, there's that sense of something missing.  I feel it in my throat. 

But before that?  Oh such fun!  A 'second Christmas' dinner with friends.  A flute recital.  Building the snowman and making snow angels.  The most enthusiastic snow-shovelers anywhere in Canada!  Skiing, thanks to the skillful generosity of Linda and family.  Skating thanks to Nick and Colin and friends.  A trip to the CN Tower.  A day with Dave just doing 'fun stuff' we do in winter.  A sweet and gentle visit with Mom.  Learning to place our Tim's order in English, and being understood and actually getting what you ordered!  Important meetings at Tyndale (in preparation for my three month education sabbatical where Suradet will be my supervisor).  Hot Springs Sponsors' appreciation dessert with sticky rice and mangoes (thanks Ian!).  Many meals to many welcoming homes, thanks so very much!  Movies and bus rides and tobogganing for Boy. 

So many memories.  I'll be processing this for some time, I think.
But mostly right now, here in these empty, tight-throated days, I am in danger of merely repeating what is anything but merely in my heart.  Futile attempts to try to describe my dizzying gratitude for this astonishing, and thoroughly surprising gift of loving and being loved, knowing and being known, of deep community that somehow, miraculously really, has come about between us.  Who could have orchestrated such a thing?  Who could have written such a story? 

Only a God Who's plans are this perfect, Who's timing is this impeccable, Who's love is this big.





 It's only five weeks until I am with them again.  I thought that would make this good bye easier.  It didn't.

[Many more pictures to follow.]

2 comments:

Juanita said...

Their time here was a gift for all of us at Highview, for we too have fallen in love with Suradet, Yupa and Boy!! Such a gift.
Enjoy your memories while planning for making more!
Love, Juanita

Linda said...

A beautiful, heartfelt post, and your photos are lovely.