The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, June 8, 2012

Jubilee Letter to My Mom



Since my youth, O God,
You have taught me,
And to this day I declare
Your marvellous deeds.
Even when I am old and gray,
Do not forsake me, O God,
Until I declare Your power
To the next generation,
Your might to all who are to come.
Psalm 71:17-18


June 8, 2012

Dear Mom,

This is a significant birthday for me – age 55.  It’s not just the years of my life, but the years of my spiritual life.  I was 5 when I accepted Jesus as my Saviour and Lord.  That means all this year I am celebrating 50 years with Jesus!  In the Old Testament, that’s called the Year of Jubilee.  It was a time of remembering that everything and everyone belongs to God; a time of freedom and rest and redemption.

In the months leading up to today, and even now, I am reading and praying and considering exactly how I want to mark this year with God.  I think it will involve some beautiful experiences with Him over the next 12 months. 
 
But I wanted to begin by saying thank you to you, my Mother, for nurturing me inside of you, for giving birth to me, and for all the investment, physical, emotional and spiritual, you poured into me. 

Most of all, thank you for laying out a spiritual pathway for me to find intimacy with God through Jesus Christ.  Thank you for believing in me and supporting me all through my life.  I am convinced that your faithful prayers for me and my family and the ministry God has entrusted to me, have blessed and carried and strengthened me far more than I can truly know.

Psalm 71:17-18 has become my ‘theme verse’ for this Jubilee year.  While it is my own earnest prayer before God, it also reminds me of you.  You have declared God’s power and might to me, to my children, and now to my grandchildren, just by living so faithfully for Him.

I am deeply, deeply grateful.

Your daughter,

Ruth Anne

No comments: