The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Jubilee

"Consecrate the fiftieth year 
and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants.  
It shall be a jubilee to you."  
Leviticus 25:10

I'm having a significant birthday come Friday.  

It's not the year exactly, that makes this birthday stand out for me.  I'm turning 55 - -  which by the way, just by itself I think is kind of cool.  But it's the spiritual marking of it that's been making me want to approach this birthday, and this entire year, in a set-aside, consecrated kind of way.

This year will mark 50 years of following Jesus.  I was 5 when I made my first profession of faith.  And even though I believe it was just the beginning of an understanding of what it means to seek redemption and forgiveness, and come into a personal, intimate relationship with God through Christ, it is in my mind the beginning of what I know to be my spiritual journey.

So, 50 years.  According to Levitical Law, this is my spiritual "jubilee".

God's instructions to Moses and His newly liberated people, standing at the base of Mt Siani concerning the Year of Jubilee, were all about letting the land rest, restoring dignity to the oppressed and poor, and being reminded in concrete ways that we are utterly dependent on a full-of-grace God for everything we have.  It was  meant to be a kind of gigantic 're-set' button on the nation, where everything was set back to the way it was supposed to be.

Inspired by that fact, and also I'm sure by the fabulous celebrations around Queen Elizabeth's diamond jubilee, I've decided that I want to find ways to spiritually celebrate somehow.

I don't have it all figured out yet.  But I do know would like to take the whole year and mark it in significant ways.

I've chosen my Jubilee verse:

Psalm 71:17-18
Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, O God,
till I declare your power 
to the next generation,
your might to all who are to come.

Lots to keep me meditating on with that one for a while, the ponderings of which I will save for future Jubilee blogs :).

I'm looking forward to marking things with Highview's stellar Staff Team --  a little more than normal special lunch time this coming Friday, since our weekly meal together actually falls on my birthday.

And I've arranged for a special cake - yes, I do love cake! - to share with my family that evening.

And the day before I've asked for time with a trusted friend and counselor who's been a spiritual mentor to me through so much over a significant part of my adult life.  We will pray together and mark the beginning of the Year of Jubilee of my soul.

As for the rest of it?  I will soon be away for my annual summer Sabbath at the cottage where I will spend more time reading and journaling and pondering on this, finding more ways, I anticipate, to declare God's marvelous deeds, His power and might, to the next generation, and to proclaim liberty, whatever all of that looks like.  As I said, I don't have it all figured out yet.  Some of it will be out there, with family and friends and blogs.  But most of it, I'm thinking, might be quiet and hushed and holy, and really private.

It sounds simple to say it, but it's really, really deep in there.  I love Jesus.  He has been my best and most faithful friend, my Messiah, my source of peace and strength, my everything.....for just my whole life long.  And I want to celebrate Him, honour Him, declare Him, worship Him.

Because my soul is excruciatingly grateful in the deepest  most private places that I call me. 


1 comment:

Juanita said...

Deepest blessings my friend...
Juanita