The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Treasures

In the sanctuary of my little garden space outside the somewhat traumatic events of the past few days seem somewhat less troubling.

Thursday. Started off well, with a great swim and sunshine enough to sit out by the pond. Finally! After several days of cloud or rain, I was anxious to get out there again. Maybe too anxious. Maybe I was in too much of a hurry. Tripped on a broken and protruding root, puncturing the skin between my second and third toes, left foot.

At first there was enough pain and blood to make me consider a trip to emerg. But some pressure, ice and elevation, along with a solid dose of Motrin got me through the day.

And it was great day, really. Loving how these first weeks back are affording me some long range planning luxuries. And this week other Staff members began to return from vacations. So the happy quiet of the past few weeks gave way this week to the happy hellos and back at it attitude of the Team. I even got a surprise gift from a friend at the end of the day.

But by supper, all I really wanted to do was soak my more-swollen-now foot and maybe watch another episode of Downton Abbey.

Ken was already home and on the phone with the police when I walked in the door. We'd had a "home invasion". Ken's lap top, cash, DVDs, my rolling napsac to carry it all away in.....and the family heirloom diamond ring.

This was Ken's grandmother's engagement ring. Four generations. Entrusted to me. Most expensive piece of jewelry I owned. Other than my own engagement and wedding rings, most important. Gone. Likely to pay for the destruction of a soul through drugs, according to the police officer.

Gone.

I'd worn it all last year during my personal "jubilee", marking 50 years of following Jesus. To remind me. I did not earn this ring. I did not deserve it. I only wore it with respect and joy. And now it's gone.

It's been a few days. Our spirits are more settled. We're letting things go, but still noticing. Last night we thought we'd watch that episode of Downton Abbey we'd not got to the night before, but.... It was one of the DVDs that was taken. Okay...let it go. It was just a thing.

So was the ring. Sort of.

We've been praying for our intruder. We've been asking that, since he or she was in our house, that some of the redemptive blessings we have known in this house would follow them. Yes, we are praying that they would be caught, but only because we believe that a life is spiraling downward and is in need of God's great rescue. We'd like our stuff back, I'm not going to lie. But the better story would end with a reclaimed destiny. I'd love to work with God on that story, if that's what He chooses to do with our prayers.

And this morning the swelling is down on my foot. I am quiet and deeply comfortable on the patio. Looking forward to spending time with friends by a lake later today.

Treasures are relative things. I have so many unstealable ones.
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

No comments: