The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, August 27, 2018

So Many Books, And Now Some Time




“Every time I think I understand what is happening, I am surprised by something new. 
Perhaps one of the hallmarks of an abiding passion
is that it always provokes new thinking and learning.”
Judith Lingenfelter.
Author, missionary and cultural analyst.


I’m home now and the back patio has replaced the cottage deck for my go-to place to read.  Either that or a corner I’ve set up in my home office.  Or when the weather turns cooler, in the family room by the fire.  Or, let’s face it, there’s always a book beside my bed.  Okay, yes.  I guess I’ll read just about anywhere.

Over these past three months of a different way of life there’s been a bit more room for reading.  Good thing because, as I’ve mentioned here before I’m sure, my current course is a Directed Reading and Research credit, which just assumes they’ll be lots of reading.  Two thousand pages, to be precise, and that’s just what’s necessary to collect the data needed for the research paper. 

But never mind.  I’m bookish enough for this to be a delight, especially with all these wonderful places available to me to curl up in and hunker down with a good book.  In fact I’m doing other reading besides what’s required for my course, because, well, a lot of reasons.  They’ve been recommended by a friend.  They were written by a friend.  They’re on tap for a fascinating discussion in this amazing discussion group I’m part of.  They’ve been in my ‘want to read’ pile for I don’t know how long.  The title sounds like it will disturb me in good ways.   I have to justify my book spending somehow.  Lots of reasons. 

And what a rich three months of reading it’s been.

So I thought I’d share some of my favourite quotes, just for some random reflections, and to see if any of it ‘provokes new thinking and learning’ for us together.  Who knows?

_____

On the risks of being influenced by relationships, Parker Palmer suggests,

“Otherness, taken seriously, always invites transformation, 
calling us not only to new acts and theories and values 
but also to new ways of living our lives 
– and that is the most daunting threat of all.”   
(2017)

_____

On the maturing process, Ronald Habermas observes, 

(Stage theorist) Piaget concludes that all people constantly move 
between disequilibrium and equilibrium.  
 Because the latter is so uncomfortable
....most of us are motivated to resolve unsettling conditions 
and to seek equilibrium as soon as possible.   
As painful as disequilibrium is, here’s the important lesson:   
Nobody can grow cognitively without disequilibrium. (emphasis mine)

This one interested me because of the disequilibrium we experience in cross-cultural experiences.  And, come to think of it, the disequilibrium of moving from one life-focus to another. 

_____


On our obsession as evangelicals particularly with getting all our doctrine “right” and that bringing as sense of order and control over our lives, theologian and muck disturber (he’d like that I said that I think) Peter Enns states,

“Then we can see the inevitability to letting go of the need to know and trust God instead 
– as best we can each moment – because God is God.  
 Trust like this is an affront to reason, the control our egos crave.   
Which is precisely the point.  Trust does not work because we have captured 
God in our minds.  It works regardless of the fact that, at the end of the day, 
we finally learn that we can’t.”

This book is disturbing me in all the good ways.  God is too big to figure out, this I have experienced for myself.  I love Enns' humility.  Oh how arrogant we Bible folks can be!

____

Tremper Longman and John Watson like to shake it up a bit too when they point out,

“[T]he Bible is not hesitant to describe historical events hyperbolically 
to produce an effect in the reader in order to make a theological point.”

This one just makes me go "hmmmmmmm."  Looking forward to the discussion on this!

_____


And then, from a book that was waiting for me when I got home with a title that might not suit everyone, Parker Palmer again (who can turn a phrase like few others),

“Above all, I like being old (he’s approaching 80) 
because the view from the brink is striking, a full panorama of my life 
– and a bracing breeze awakens me 
to new ways of understanding my own past, present, and future.”  
 (2018)

I have a feeling I’m going to be glad I'm reading this now, when I’m in my early 60s.  Lots of wisdom to gain from this brilliant and loving soul.

_____

So, like I said, a random sampling and a smattering of thoughts.  Without a doubt it is helping to “provoke new thinking and learning”, even launching me into new and different ways of approaching this next adventure I'm on.

And because this blog post isn't book-nerdy enough already, I’m going to go ahead and include the bibliography.  

Enjoy.


Enns, Peter. The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires our Trust More Than Our “Correct” Beliefs,
New York: Harper One, 2016.

Habermas, Ronald T.  Introduction to Christian Education and Formation: A Lifelong Plan
            for Christ-Centered Restoration, Grand Rapids:  Zondervan, 2008.

 Lingendfelter, Judith E. & Sherwood  G. Linenfelter, Teaching Cross-Culturally:  An Incarnational 
          Model for Learning and Teaching, Michigan: Baker Academic, 2003.

Longman, Tremper III & John Watson.  The Lost World of the Flood:  Mythology, Theology, and the
                Deluge Debate,  Downers Grove:  InterVarsity Press, 2018.

Palmer, Parker J.  The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher’s
            Life, 20th Anniversary Ed.  Sommerset: Jossey-Bass, 2017.

___________ . Palmer, Parker K., On the Brink of Everything:  Grace, Gravity & Getting Old,       
            Oakland: Berrett-Koehler Publishers Inc., 2018.


No comments: