The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, April 27, 2009

The Anchor that Frees Me

I am particularly grateful for and humbled by the selflessness of my hero tonight.

Nothing spectacular happened, except that he sat with me, listened respectfully, and helped me figure out a tedious, last minute detail this final night before my third trip to Southeast Asia. Third trip. And he's doing it again....letting me go, not holding me back from the adventure, patiently, gently helping me figure out tedious, last minute details.

It constantly amazes me that God would know exactly who it was I would need, at 15 and at 52, neither of us being the same person today that we were then, not at all; yet being and becoming the other puzzle piece in a life long romance that anchors. I am not an easy person to live with. Yet Ken remains. This is a great gift.

So I'm the one getting on the plane, but those kids in Chiang Mai have every bit as much of Ken in every moment I spend, every hug I share, every treat given, every faltering sermon stumbled through with the gracious assistance of translation.

I am the goer but Ken is the sender, less exotic, more hidden.....quietly my hero.

Thank you, love.
I'm excited to go, can hardly wait.
But I'm anchored to your heart,
And I'll be back very soon
More me
Because you let me go.

2 comments:

tanyasz said...

Thanks Ken for letting her go. Safe travels, we'll be praying. Have fun!!

Joel Bennett said...

Amazing story...Amazing writer...Amazing husband...have an AMAZING TRIP.