The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Overnight Wisdom

I've been reading through 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles again, and that whole deal about Solomon. Gotta love that guy. Overnight he gets wise. At least that's how it reads. I'm pretty sure God did a combo thing for him, though. Part God-endowed - the overnight gift - and part just pain old learning from life.

Most of us acquire what wisdom we might attain from that last part. Which reminds me of the wise words of an important counselor in my life, Dr. Robert Lehman, who commented one day that most of us want wisdom, we're just not willing to go through the pain of life that brings it.

Or at least when we are going through the pain of life, we don't even recognize it as the wisdom delivery system that it is.

Tomorrow I will be in a meeting that requires much wisdom. Or maybe it will be one of those painful experiences that delivers the wisdom, I'm not sure. I just know that I'd rather do a whole lot of unpleasant things than do this meeting. I most certainly don't feel wise enough to navigate the relational/emotional landscape of it.

So, overnight Lord. Got anything for me?

No comments: