The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, June 4, 2017

With God, Sometimes, It Is Just For Me


No automatic alt text available. 

Psalm 71:17-18

How cool is this? I am marking two very significant milestones in my life, both happening this week; one was today with Highview's 20th Anniversary, and one is Thursday with my 60th birthday. Because these moments are so significant to me I bought myself a new Bible as a reminder of God's goodness in my life.

This is probably the first 'substantial' Bible I have ever owned, having always purchased cheaper, paperbacks in the past. But this one, this one should last for a long time.

But here's the cool thing. The ribbon bookmark that comes with, was placed on the very page of the verses I am claiming for this 60th Birthday, and which totally connects with my ministry life as a pastor.

"Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and grey, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come."

These verses resonate deep within me in this season of my life.  I still have so much excitement and energy for learning and leading and preaching and serving, and I can't wait to see what God has for me.  Honest, this turning 60 thing rocks!  And the opportunity to look back and see God's work over a lifetime?  Priceless.  So for these verse to have been right in the middle of the Bible I chose to mark these milestones.....Beautiful!

Okay, I know. The book mark was placed in the middle of the book and that's where Psalms happen to be. But still.

I am taking this as a tender affirmation by my Heavenly Father who sees all that is offered in public and in secret, is merciful toward human frailty, and understands the motives of the heart.

Today was a significant day at Highview, and we sought to bring focus and honour to God, and to the founding Elders of our church. This though. This was like a special gift to my heart, just for me from God, to mark this day in a way I very much needed.

I am in awe. I am grateful.

No comments: