The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Games and Grace and Space for Me

Bang
It's a wild and laughing game best played with a whole whack of people in a large space, and it's called "Octopus!"  I'm pretty sure it was Erin Wildsmith (Highview's Associate Pastor) that introduced it to Hot Springs first, and it has become a hands-down favourite.  It's the first thing Mee-oo will ask me that first night we are here.

The object of the game is to be the last one standing, not caught by either the Octopus or the seaweed, earning you the right to become the next Octopus.  There is crazy running from one end of the room to the other, until, if you are tagged, you are now part of the seaweed that must attempt to tag other runners.

The kids love it.  It's especially endearing in that they pronounce it "OctoPOOOT!"  And in fact, everyone, even the English speakers, call it that now. 

We are playing it on Friday night after evening worship when I find quite suddenly that I am yet again the learner in this remarkable place of love and life.   Because something unusually normal happens that catches my heart.

May
May is one of the smallest, youngest girls.  For this she lacks nothing in oomph and enthusiasm for the game.  But her small size has left her 'stranded' on the far wall.  The Octopoot, in this case Any, is zig zagging threateningly in front of her.  It looks like May's destiny to become seaweed is certain.

But then, without any prompting whatsoever, about five of the slightly older boys come running from their already safe place to distract the Octopoot and rescue their little sister.  It's a group effort, each one taunting Any to come run after him instead.  And it works.  Any pursues Bang, a bigger faster runner, and May is given an open space of grace through which she can escape.  She boots it across the floor and is safe for another turn.  Bang and the other boys also return to safety.  The strategy was a success.

I am moved with affection as I watch this.  I've seen this kind of thing here before often, and it sort of stands out, I'm afraid.  It's not a common a thing for children, or even adults, to behave this way in our Western 'every soul for themselves', independent way of being.  Yes, children at home, and the rest of us, can be kind, for sure.  But that this so easily comes to mind for these 'older brothers' is what I find so lovely.

And this seems to me a way of being I desperately need myself.   May is me, caught against bigger things than I can handle.  Without the initiative of older, bigger, stronger family (not necessarily blood, as is also true at Hot Springs), I would be certain of entanglements and set backs, and perhaps....and this sobers me....perhaps even being disqualified from the game altogether.  I need help to make it, to open the space of grace so I can run free and wild to the other side with a chance to face the challenges again. 

I am quiet as we head back to our rooms this night.  There is such humbling here.  I am always more the receiver than ever I am the giver here. 

What could I have ever possibly done to deserve this constant fount of love and life and learning? 


Oh yeah.  Nothing.  Grace makes this space too. 

No comments: