The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Saturday, September 9, 2023

Autumn's Ritual Reset


Laundry. That, and unpacking. When you've been stationed elsewhere for as long as I have, those two things become the priority. Have to, or you can't actually move very much around in your house.


But since it's September, and because I was determined not to let the drudgery-tasks completely take over, I found myself, almost by default working around all that, on this first Saturday back, to make sure I was well-nested.

There are few times each year when I do this. It's not just about coming back from the cottage, but, yes, that's a fair trigger. It's a re-ordering of my little corners. Beside my bed. To the right on my side of the couch. The tea stash. My desk downstairs, especially what's right at just-above-my-computer-screen eye level. Putting all the books I'll need in the next little while in the basket right behind my office chair. My underwear drawer.

Sorry if that last one is TMI. And also, I do understand different folks function best in different kinds of ergonomic realities.




But for me? I'm amused at realizing again how important it is for me to have a certain kind of order in rather specific physical spaces to be relaxed and ready for the fall season ahead. To have the things that nurture my soul within easy reach. To clear away distractions so I can give more attention to all the amazing souls with which I am privileged to commune. To have the spaces clear so the work can move forward unobstructed.

[By way of a slight rabbit trail, the Old Testament Book of Numbers is fascinating in terms of God's precision on the physical ordering of how the Israelites were to set up camp, and their travelling formation. Read it in a big chunk sometime if you haven't already. ]

It was a good day for this ritual reset. I was glad we came back on a Friday. It provided this one day as a free space to be able to make the transition between these two very different worlds of mine. And between the seasons themselves.

Tomorrow is Sunday, my hands-down favourite day of the week. It's kick off Sunday at Highview, as I imagine it is in many churches in Southwestern Ontario. It's the day when we're all 'back'. When our community of faith re-gathers and does a reset too.

I can hardly wait.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the washing machine just dinged at me again. Time to push through another load. And no, I didn't take a picture of the chaos of our laundry room.

You're welcome.

No comments: