The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Full On in the Other Direction



Spending some time over these quieter days with candles lit, the fire on, snuggled into the couch with a good book, or four.
To be honest, the fall has been rather intensive, and not so inclined for reading, so my soul is welcoming these rainy afternoons like a parched lawn after a long drought.
As is usually the case, I have about four new reads going on at once. Sorry-not-sorry in advance for the onslaught of quotes that are likely to happen over the new weeks.
Today I got a start on Brian Stiller's book on leadership called "Find a Broken Wall." Not surprisingly to those familiar with Old Testament leadership examples, he's opening up Nehemiah's story to bring forward some intriguing 'ancient principles for 21st century leaders.'
I'm really liking his launching point. His first principle is about opportunity in chaos, and the counterintuitive move downward.
"Instead of searching for the good places, rewarding salaries and benefits, popular communities and nice people, look for rundown, bankrupt communities in need of someone to lift and lead."
Brian Stiller - Find a Broken Wall (2012)
Seems this could be a good approach for any of us, not just those in charge of something. Just go look for the broken walls, the less than desirable, the weak and weary, and do something good in that mess.
For more than one reason, this reminds me of those who did that for me. The leaders and mentors in my life who somehow saw the opportunity in my own chaos of growing, and invested in me in ways undeniably life-transformative.
In fact, some of the first ministry mentors I ever had were under the leadership of Brian Stiller himself, back in the 70s, as he 'lifted and led' other leaders in Toronto at Youth For Christ. I cut my ministry teeth in that environment, and I am utterly grateful.
I was not a glamourous project, believe me. Many might have overlooked the awkward, struggling young adult woman at the beginning of what would not have looked like a ministry future with a whole lot of potential. If all those around me at the time were seeking after the big salaries and other signs of success, I would not be here today, doing what I do.
It's such a temptation, really. If we're honest, we all have to admit to some form of it. The upward draw of what it looks like to have 'arrived,' to be able to impress our peers, to have all the boxes of 'accomplished' checked off.
But to turn around and look downward for that broken wall, that broken spirit, and invest there instead -- that's driven by something else - something more true, I think.
I'm being pressed into this more this coming year, I believe. Feels like a recurring theme of late, of being drawn into a space of shedding off the outward symbols of success, such as I might define it.
Not exactly sure where it might take me, and I'm hoping I'm up to the challenge. But I'm glad for the companions along the way, and the beautiful hearts God's placed in my life to guide me --- all the way from way back then, up until now.

No comments: