The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, December 29, 2023

In Need of Some Isaiah




I've lost track and I don't have the specific data for this, but I'm pretty sure most of you would confirm that the month of December, especially these last several days of it, has seen precious little sunshine.

Three remedies are in order I think.

One - Remember the summer.

I know it doesn't work this way in the science of it, but there does seem to me some 'storage' factor somewhere in my psyche when I'm out in the sunshine telling myself that I'm soaking up all the free Vitamin D. Don't worry. I'm taking actual supplements right now. But there's still seems to be residual cheering of my spirits when I bring to mind all those sunrise kayaks last spring and summer. Ahhhhh. Yessss.




Two - Light the candles!!!

Not unsupervised, of course, but if I'm lingering in any room for any period of time, I'm finding myself adding as much ambiance of flickering brightness as I can. Lucky for me, several folks know of my fondness for candles and I've been amply gifted this Christmas. This sweet little house and the tea light inside are from two different gifters. The tea light is one of a jar full, so I should be good for the rest of the winter! Little cheerleaders to chase away the dullness.

Three - Isaiah!

"Arise, shine, for your light has come,
and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.
See, darkness covers the earth
and thick darkness is over the peoples,
but the LORD rises upon you
and his glory appears over you.
Nations will come to your light,
and kings to the brightness of your dawn."
Isaiah 60:1-3

And while it might be tempting to think Isaiah was experiencing a dark Canadian winter, he is of course talking about spiritual darkness, and the need for light beyond ourselves, beyond even the sun, to come and bring bright hope.

It's what we just celebrated. "Light and life to all He brings" (Hark the Herald Angles Sing verse 3). And when Isaiah gets to the part where others are drawn to it ("nations will come to your light"), that's when I realize I have a similar happy task as the candles.

I'm tempted to break out into that old Sunday School chorus, "This little light of mine".... so I will. (Are you singing it in your head now?) Or at least make reference to the way we can all be this for each other. Not just in the dark days of winter, but okay, sure, yeah, right now.

Right now when the economy and the news kind of match the weather. Right now when we need each other's hopeful joy, the hope and joy we receive from a God who is light, from a Messiah to came to show the way, from a Spirit who burns brightly within us.

So happy, hopeful, Isaiah-bright Friday dear friends.
Soon we'll be welcoming a bright new year full of possibilities.

(And if the song lingers in your head a little, that's okay too.)

No comments: