The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Behind Me in the Mirror

 



"How do you introduce yourself?"

That's one of the questions on tap for the online Small Group on Colossians I get to facilitate at Highview as we move through Lent together. Starts this Thursday. More on that bit later.

It's a great question and follows a solid sermon on identity by our Pastor Erin last Sunday. "Who Do You Think You Are?" was the prevailing question for the morning.

Identity markers. Ways of thinking about ourselves that may be imposed upon us or we might try to project to others. And I am very aware of both of these in my own psyche.

A defining moment for me in this was when I stepped out of the role of Senior Pastor and embraced full time the ministry to at-risk and orphan children in Northern Thailand with whom Highview had already been partnering for almost ten years.

Despite this being very familiar territory, and totally my choice, it took several months, if not longer, to re-orient myself and figure out exactly how I was going to introduce myself in this new space I was in.

It was unsettling. I floundered for a bit. It was like looking in a mirror and not really being sure who that was.

Such is the power of identity.

I have by now figured out how to introduce myself, and I do it in a way that totally makes sure the main thing stays the main thing. I.e. the main thing is not me.

It's the other One who is standing behind me in the mirror, hands on my shoulders, say, "I got you."

So back to the Small Group. Our focus for the first session will be what it means to identify as 'in Christ.' For followers of Jesus, it's rather important that we get this.

And I'm so looking forward to it!

Thursday mornings from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. online.
February 22 and 29, March 7, 14, 21 and 28.
We'll be following the same theme as the sermon preached at Highview on the Sunday before, throughout our series called "Alive."
All this is based on the book of Colossians and will carry us through to Easter.
No homework. No travel.
Just good conversation meant to encourage each other along in our spiritual journey and formation.

So my Highview Peeps, there's still time and there's still room.
If you want me to send you the Zoom link, private message me.
I'd love to spend the next few Thursdays with you.

Picture is of an old mottled mirror at our cottage, and reminds me of all the ways our perceptions of ourselves can be distorted.

No comments: