The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, March 28, 2014

Celebrations

Bee's Graduation from High School with his family.  L to R Suradet, Bee, Yupa, Bao
Today was a day of celebrations.  First was Bee's graduation from high school in the morning.  Bee attends a large school in a neighbouring town of Sankampeung, boasting a student population of about 2000.  Graduation day is a big event, with students, graduates and family and friends all milling about on the grounds afterwards.
Bee and the Highview Team on Graduation Day, also pictured is one of Bee's Teachers


It's quite clear from the colour and noise that graduation day is a pretty important affair.  All graduates, male and female, receive flowers from well wishers, including a circle of flowers to wear as a crown.  Classmates pin pictures and contact information to the graduates' shirts.  Sort of instead of signing a year book we guessed.  Posing for pictures is made all the more celebratory by the creation of several backdrops spaced out on the grounds. 

Around the school are various photo op spots.  Very colourful, and so much fun!
The place was buzzing with excitement.  We had the chance to meet the school principal, and also one of Bee's teachers, both who could speak English very well and thanked us for coming and for supporting Bee's education.

Bee is only one of two of the children who are graduating from high school this year.  Somchai's celebrations, unfortunately will happen on Monday morning, the first Day of Day Camp.  We hope to be able to get some pictures of that to show you as well.  And on Monday night for evening worship we will be holding our own graduation ceremony of sorts.  More to follow. 

It is such a rewarding thing to be part of moments like this with Surdet and Yupa.  When we first met these kids, both Bee and Somchai were preteen boys adjusting to the larger family that God had begun under this one roof.  Now they are fine young men with future plans and dreams.  This would not have been possible without the support of their Sponsors.  So "thank you very so much" to Hilda and Elroy Gingrich and Jon and Carol Rehill. 
Cuddles from Da at the party

  
Suradet removes the roast pork from the bamboo skewer
Apple with Megan and Heidi, her sponsors and bff's, chillin' at the party
Another celebration, same day.  Festival!!!  This would be the same as having a big barbque party back home in the summer, although at Hot Springs this really only happens once in a long while.  The kind of food that was served at this party is not in the regular budget here.  Pork is roasted over the open fire.  Sticky rice, cookies and pop.  The kids eat so much they hurt afterwards, and walk around groaning about how full they are....but with big smiles on their faces.  That's really what makes the party so much fun....how much all of them, Suradet and Yupa included, are so clearly enjoying themselves. 

So am I.  And that's the other best thing.  Moments like these I just sit and revel in the simple joys and being part of this amazing family.  How did I ever get to this?  In all my life I could not have imagined it. 

The words of Paul keep echoing in my mind this trip.  "Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think, according to the power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen."  Ephesians 3:20-21

In thinking back to any and everything I've ever asked God for, even the things He's said no to, I honestly could not have even imagined asking Him for this.  This is so much more than anything I could ask or think of to ask.  God's lavish generosity to my life completely overwhelms me, as I sit at the table hearing laughter and eating sticky rice.  I look up and catch Yupa's face, and our eyes meet.  A quick moment of connectedness and I simply say, "Prajao dii"  God is good.  She smiles, "Jing, jing."  Indeed.

This morning I woke up with a sore throat.  I'd appreciate your prayers.  I am using my voice all the time here, teaching devotions every morning and evening, preaching on Sunday, and then Day Camp of course.  This morning at worship time I determined not to sing, to try to preserve what I have.  But Suradet went and chose three songs that I can't NOT sing....Give Thanks, You Are Good, and Ruak Saou (can't translate) that move me deeply.  I sang.  And I cried.  It's so much.





1 comment:

Juanita said...

Love the pictures...bright, celebratory, beautiful. Great to see the team!!! Such amazing gifts of grace God is giving you Ruth Anne:)
Praying

Blessings,Juanita