The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Insert Photo Here

Now that I figured out how to download the pictures, lets see what I can do to show you some of what's been going on.

First, I've retrofitted past blogs to insert pictures of what I've been talking about. Take a look.

Above is the maker of the famous beaded bracelet. Birdie is in the middle in the red top. One of our Hot Springs kids, Sai, is with us. Yeah, I know, I'm looking a bit pekid. I actually didn't feel good all that day, but after I figured out the shower thing, I felt..and looked...much better. Just for curiosity sake, around my neck is a special scarf that repells mosquitos. Seemed to work. No bites.

My new friend, Debbie Flinchum. This is one gifted and godly woman who serves God's orphans in ways you and I will never fully appreciate. She is "Mom" to so many kids, and it's obvious how much they love her. I love her Virginian accent and fear I may come home with a bit of a twang myself! This lady is honest and completely others-focused in the midst of ministry challenges that boggle the mind. I love watching her in action and have deeply appreciated the hospitality of both Debbie and her husband Mike.

Below is the gathering at Doi Saket for church service Sunday morning, October 19th. The Team from the February 2008 visit will recognize the paint job :). Notice the kids are wearing their tribal clothes. Every special occasion, Sundays included, is a reason to dress in your tribal best.

To the right is Tutu with the youngest member of Doi Saket I, baby Joshua, two months old. I would have held him but Tutu doesn't give him up easily. Baby hog.

Below is the camp kitchen at Wiang Pa Pao and one of the Bible School students who not only used his culinary skills to serve us, but was part of the worship band as well. I have a feeling he's grinding up that dark green paste that - WOW! - you only need a little bit of!!!!!!!!














I woke up WAY too early this morning. Feels like the "do or die" moment of the trip. Today I will meet all of our Hot Springs children at the Chiang Mai Zoo for an "outing". I am certain to learn the Thai words for all the animals, and I hope there's a place to buy ICE CREEEEM! That's not the do or die part though.

It's later when I will get in the truck and go with our kids to where they live. Funny. It's all I have been able to think of since leaving last February. Go and live with the kids. Right with them. Understand their lives, eat their food, learn their culture. Now, here it is, the moment I get to do that, and I'm a little bit nervous. How am I going to spend five days without being able to communicate easily? Especially when there's so much in my heart to tell them?

So....I guess I'm about to find out. I have so appreciated your prayers. Please don't stop. The working of the Spirit in my own heart, and seeing Him work here in ways totally different from our own context at home....it's all been so moving, so humbling, so astonishing. I don't want to miss a thing, but I don't want to rush it either. I am very grateful for a different kind of pacing this time here. There seems to be more opportunity for quiet moments to process and listen and I am grateful.

So these next five days, I will need your prayers more than ever. I will do my best to do the black berry thing. And I'll take more pictures and videos. But mostly, I will ask God to help me capture as much as I can in the deeper places of my soul, asking Him to insert His "photos" into the story He's writing between Highview and Hot Springs. That's really what I want to bring home to you.

Okay (deep breath).....Here I go!

5 comments:

Kristyn Hiemstra said...

Abby says "There's my Gramma! My pink Gramma! With the children!"

Juanita said...

Wow Ruth Anne...I feel excitement and nervousness with you. I can't imagine the journey ahead with these children. But if anyone can be the "hands and feet" of Jesus to these children, you can. Notice that phrase says nothing about speaking!! Perhaps so much of what we "do" is where it is at with Jesus. "Being" with these children...hugging them, smiling, laughing, crying, playing...this is probably what they most need. Oh Ruth Anne...may God love these children through you in beautiful, tangible ways.
Love and prayers,
Juanita

Poppy B said...

Hi Ruth-Anne,

Your small group was praying for you today and your experience of spending time with our Hot Springs children, soke it all in :)
We feel like we are right there with you, isn't Internet amaxing!
I remember when you shared your time with our kids at the Purple Place and so you are where God wants you to be for mid October!
Come home safe, we all miss you!

Love Poppy and Tuesday small group.

Jen said...

Please say a great big 'hi' to Debbie and Mike for me. I agree, she is a remarkable woman of God. Can you imagine if we all gave of ourselves like she does what a different world we would live in.

Bye the way, I love the pink outfit!

Big hug from me to you,
Jen

Ian Peers said...

Wow, great pictures. So glad to hear things are going well and that the Holy Spirit is moving. I'll be praying for this last part of your journey.

Say hello to Entorn for us!