The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Time For This

 



"He has made everything beautiful in its time.
He has also set eternity in the human heart;
yet no one can fathom what God has done
from beginning to end."
Ecclesiastes 3:11

I was reminded yesterday that this weekend we 'spring forward' and move into 'daylight savings time.' Oh right! That kind of snuck up on me.

So this morning's post is sort of a PSA, reminding you too if you needed it.

I know there's conversation out there now as to whether or not we should continue this practice. All the sleep experts weigh in of course, but there's apparently some economic factors in play as well, given our business transactions with other provinces and states that may or may not do the time change thing themselves.

I don't know much about any of that. But in anticipation of this weekend's 'loss' of one hour, and also of the 'extra' day in February we just had, it does make me muse some on the concept of time itself.

Like, where does that hour go?
Where did that extra day come from?
I can hear an old Chicago tune in my head asking that metaphysical questions:
Does anybody really know what time it is?

And time is held differently depending on where you are in the world or what kind of temperament you might have.

Culturally, westerners are more time conscious than event conscious. Then there's type A, administrative types like me that like efficiency. Few things irritate me more than the waste of time. The phrase 'killing time' seems criminal to me.

Then again, I am pressing into patience these days, like I wrote about a few days ago. And I'm learning oh so much from my event-oriented Thai family about all of this. "Jai yen, yen." (Which loosely translated means "Take a chill pill.")

It shouldn't be surprising, then, that a God who lives outside of time but who understands us so well, would speak so much about time and the cosmos and such eternal matters, as if helping us to understand that there are some things we won't ever understand.

"Everything beautiful, in its time."
Yes, I like the hope in the long view of that.
"Eternity in our hearts."
I think that explains a lot, actually, about our longings.
"No one can fathom what God's doing with it all."
Nope. Not me.

I do hope you have plenty of time to do whatever is on your mind and heart to do on this day we've been so generously gifted with.

Don't forget to move the clock forward Saturday night.
(But not too early in day as to not confuse your spouse too much, right Ken Breithaupt?)

No comments: