The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Called to Peace: A Sunday Blessing

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, 
since as members of one body you were called to peace.  
And be thankful.
Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly 
as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom 
through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, 
singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.  
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, 
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God the Father through him."
The Apostle Paul to the Church at Colossae
Colossians 3:15-17


Every pastor everywhere is a little like Paul this morning.  

Heart aching with separation, Paul penned the letters that make up a significant portion of the last half of the New Testament.  That's what a lot of our Bible after the Gospels is;  letters from a pastor who couldn't be with his people.

It's an awful place to be.  And most pastors all around the world, during this time of physical distancing, know it.  Especially on Sundays.

My long study of Paul for the current course work I'm doing (in this fabulous long haul I'm doing called my education) has me digging deep into the psyche of a man who above all things loved Jesus and the people he was called to serve in His Name.  This tough-as-nails shepherd suffered more physical, mental, social and emotional anguish on behalf of his flock than I can get my head around.  And a big part of it was just the torment of being away from them when he knew they were suffering themselves.

And so, to the group he had had to leave behind in Colossae, he sends his blessing, his instruction, to let the peace of Christ have authority (to rule) among them.  Yes.  Peace.

I feel the calming of his words as if I were part of his congregation.  Yes.  Peace.  That's what we're called to at all times.  But in these times of fear and disorientation, how much more so?  

Of course, this isn't a 'peace' that doesn't acknowledge the seriousness of what's going on.  Or pretends like it's not affecting us, because it is.  It's rattling me.  It should.  A pandemic is no small thing.  

Yet Pastor Paul reminds us, and reorients us, and re-frames for us what we're supposed to be about, always, but especially now.

Encourage each other, he says.  Sing to each other, and teach each other, and remind each other of who we are in Jesus.  And do it all, yes, even sheltering in place, to the glory of God.  Yes!  Thank you! I need to be reminded.  Even in this, I can be about what I say my life is about; bringing glory and honour and worship to the God of all peace and power and strength.  Oh how we need His mercy now!

I am so grateful for every Pastor who has worked so hard this week, most of them using tools and technology they have had to wrestle with in new ways, who are making that effort to comfort and reassure us today, this Sunday.  I am grateful for the words of Pastor Suradet at Hot Springs Church in northern Thailand, and his calming presence, even on line, as he reminds us all to 'hold on'.  I am grateful for my Pastor at Highview, Erin, whose message I will certainly benefit from later today, and who is leading through something none of us has been through before, and doing it so that we can be encouraged and reminded....and blessed.

I am grateful for Paul, and for how the letters themselves (his first century version of an online message to the people) remind me that when everything else is stripped away, and you can't be together doing your service on a Sunday (or any time), what remains is love.

All of this, I can feel it, lays its peace down inside of me.

Love each other well, dear friends.
Be blessed and encouraged and strengthened.
Let peace rule.

No comments: