The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, March 22, 2020

It's Not About Me: Reaching Out in an Isolating World

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess,
 for he who promised is faithful.  
And let us consider how we may spur one another on 
toward love and good deeds, 
not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, 
but encouraging one another 
-- and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:23


Before recently most of us had never heard the phrases "social distancing" or "self-isolating" before.  If we had, we'd be inclined to think of folks who were struggling with sustaining healthy relationships and/or not able to engage appropriately with the world.

Now, this is what our government and all the health professionals, and even our spiritual shepherds are telling us to do.

Social distancing.  Memes abound that infer we're all sitting on our couches watching movies.  "This is the first time you can save your country being lazy at home.  PLEASE don't screw it up," says one I saw today.  I get the humour, and I hope I don't lose my sense of humour in this.  But it's painting a certain picture I don't want to identify with.   Long lists of self-oriented activities are posted giving us ideas for what we can do with all the time we have now that we're not out doing our normal lives.  It's as if being at home means all we need to do is take care of ourselves.  

And actually, I feel that pull.  With all the cancellations and a never ending list of things I need to do to finish off my current course work, stay on top of the needs in Thailand (with a tanking Canadian dollar), then fix up the house, clear off my computer, clean out some closets --  the temptation is there to hunker down and exclusively focus inward.  

An inward focus isn't bad.  In fact, that's what I want to deal with in my next posting.

But right now, to remind myself as much as anybody else, I think it's important not to lose sight of one another even when, and especially when we don't see each other's faces so much.  And the truth is, even as I write this on a Sunday morning when we all should be worshipping together, I have to confess, my mind and heart has been so with all of you.  I miss you so much.

So here's my list of ways I can reach out in an isolating world.  Maybe something will spur you on.  And maybe you'll add your own in the comments, either on the blog or in the Facebook post.

  • Stay home.  This is obvious, but I just want to begin by reminding us all that the best way to love each other right now is to stay home as much as we possibly can.  
  • Make a list of 10 people who have had a positive influence in your life and work down the list over the next few days, connecting with each (in whatever way makes most sense) to let them know their impact on your life.
  • Go through your pictures and flag friends on Facebook or other social media platforms with a fun fact and/or encouragement that the picture reminds you of.
  • If you have anyone in your social media networks who are working in essential services, particularly those providing us with food and medical care, flag them as a hero and thank them for their courage and selflessness. 

  • Write messages in chalk on the driveway or sidewalk, or posters in your window, to cheer and encourage anyone walking by.

  • Make care packages to leave on porches of those who are self-isolating.  Include safely packaged soup, tea or other safely-handled foods you might know they need, books or movies you are willing to lend, cards or inspirational verses or quotes.  Probably good to connect with the recipient ahead of time to arrange the no-contact delivery.
  • For your friends who are not as connected on line, pick up the phone and ask how you can pray for them, and pray together on the phone.  If you've never done this before, it's actually not as awkward as it may sound. 
  • Connect with efforts your church or other communities might be providing.  For example, Highview has started at regular prayer list and an invitation to be praying twice a day on the 9's.  Hearing and remembering others' needs in this time keeps me outward focused.  Knowing others are praying at the same time reminds me we're in this together.

There are so many good ideas out there.
I'd love to hear yours.

We're not alone.  
Let's not make this "all about me".  
Let's keep connected.  
Let's spur one another on to love and good deeds.
Let's be a force of outward focused love.  

Tomorrow.....what does a healthy inward focus look like?

No comments: