The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Together While Apart

Highview September 2015


Friday, I posted the following on my personal Facebook page:

"I confess, as a dedicated hugger, the term "social distancing" makes me sad. On the other hand, I'm glad I now have a bonafide Thai side and have learned the grace and respect of the 'wai'. Folded hands, gentle bow, big smile. When I see you next, know that I still love you!!!! In fact, ironically, NOT hugging you is probably the best way to show it. Hang in, everyone. Together we can be our best selves in the midst of trying times."

Later that same day I received an email from our Pastor and Elders at Highview, outlining our response to the COVID-19 situation.  As well as announcing that for a the next several weeks we have suspended our children's programming, will be serving no food including Communion, and are encouraged to engage in non-contact greetings, it said that we would be having a service on Sunday, March 15.

That was this morning.

One of the advantages of being a small church right now is that we are under the current suggested numbers for gathered events.  Our normally packed out Good Friday event "In the Name of Love" puts us over that suggested number, so, sadly, that is cancelled.  But for Sunday mornings, it was the decision of our leaders to go ahead.  For now.

Next week might be very different.  The situation changes day by day, hour by hour.

But whether or not you feel the world is over reacting or isn't doing enough, that churches should or should not suspend their services during this pandemic, the reality is that right now we are having to behave differently toward one another than we're used to.  Hugging notwithstanding.  And just by the way, it was particularly hard for me this morning, during a time when we all need love and reassurance, NOT to hug and be hugged by those who gathered.  Everything in me screams to embrace.....but.

So it's got me to thinking about all the other ways we 'do' community.  And how the restrictions we're being asked to follow actually might be a way to free up other expressions of care and concern.  I'm formulating a list of "Community Anyways" things to do, just as alternatives, reminders of how I might make sure I'm being part of something good and strong and beautiful during a time of increased anxiety and isolation.

The context that comes first to my mind always is my community of faith.  But these ideas expand beyond that, of course.  You may have your own ideas, which I'd be happy to hear about in the comments section of their the blog itself or of the Facebook post this will be linked to.

For now, here's just a few suggestion that may or may not be something you connect with.  It's what's I think would help me feel like we were still together even when we're apart, but I don't know for sure. I'm going to try this out myself and see how it goes.

  • Help balance the onslaught of COVID-19 news with completely unrelated, light-hearted videos, jokes, quotes, pictures on your own Facebook page.
  • For Highview:  Share some thoughts on our Church Facebook page about the 40 Days of Lent readings, or the Hebrew readings; what words or phrases stuck out to you and why.
  • Write words of encouragement and love to each other.  Maybe particularly, when gatherings are cancelled (eg. ITNOL Rehearsals, Sunday services) we can use that time to connect with others for this.  This could be through emails, messaging, whatever means suits best.
  • I LOVE it when people post the links to songs that are resonating with them right now.  This might be especially helpful if we can't be together for worship.
  • Set up phone calls with folks who aren't 'on line', or even those who are, and, if appropriate, pray together on the phone.  (If you've never done this, try it.  It's kinda cool!)
  • Consider some of the 'gifts' a time being at home could bring (there are lots of those lists already circulating), and while embracing them for yourself, share with others how you are redeeming the opportunity.  (For example:  Just think of all the closets that will be cleaned out and good donated to charity!  And I'd say, in this instance, a few bragging photos would be just fine.)
  • Be all the more conscious of the power of our words during a time when there's lots of anxiety and negativity going around.  Trashing 'hoarders' or indiscriminate re-posting of 'news' from third-hand, unreliable sources, for example, only adds to the sense of heaviness for many.  Let's be 'together' in passing around strength and honour and hope.  
  • Let's remind each other at every opportunity that, even if we're isolated, none of us is alone.  We have each other's back.  And if it should happen that any one of us needs assistance of any kind, we'll be there for each other.  That's what community is for.
Oh the list could be longer, and likely will as we move through this day by day.  

Just a final thought.  I am an introvert, so with all due respect for the global effect we're seeing and the seriousness of the situation, the thought of isolation, of the world slowing down for a bit, doesn't rock me the way it might some.  Even so.  This beautiful thing we have called community is something to cherish and protect.  You are all so very much on my heart in these days.  

I believe with all I am that our community is strong enough, we're strong enough in Jesus my friends, to still be very, very together even if we have to be apart.

And together we CAN be our best selves the midst of these fascinating times!
Just watch.


No comments: