The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Not There - Longings and Gratitudes

 


This is a rarified Sunday morning for me, not attending worship service.
Yes, yes. Of course we can still worship, anywhere, and on our own. That's very much part of what my morning paddle around the island is about, Sunday or any day.
But it's not the same thing and we all of us know it.
And today I feel it.
Odd this, since I left the city more peopled-out than I care to admit, and have been soaking up the solitude in a similar way dry wood soaks up a fresh coat of paint (warning: working on a project so painting analogies are more likely in the next little while - more later).
So very peopled-out.
And yet.
This morning, it was my first thought.
That I missed my peeps at Highview.
And then, as I made my way through the hazy sunrise around the island this morning, I was all full of affection and melancholy for all three of the beautiful communities of faith to which I can claim I belong.



The main reason I'm not heading to a church service this morning is that our season at Cognashene Community Church doesn't start until next weekend. And a side note: It's been my great privilege to lead the opening service each summer for coming on 20 years or more, following the legacy of Ken's cousin Herb Breithaupt who did the honours before me. So next Sunday morning will feel very different for sure. [Kids, get ready for a parade, just sayin.]




On the other side of the planet, Hot Springs has had service already 12 hours ago. Truly, when I get to be there worshipping with these enthusiastic brothers and sisters of mine, I am without a doubt with family. How crazy is it that this old white lady gets to be called "Pastor Mom" to these brave and prevailing people? One of the great mysterious joys of my life.
The writer of Hebrews seemed pretty convinced that there was something important about the practice of gathering, and puts it this way.
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on to love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another -- and all the more as we see the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:23-25
And here I'll add the necessary caveat. Especially in a world traumatized by virus and the ongoing threat that holds for those whose health needs require the grace of authorial intent and context. Even mature and faithful followers of Jesus have to adapt from time to time, and these certainly have been 'the times'.
So Highview, I miss you.
Cognashene, I can hardly wait.
Hot Springs, July 30th can't come soon enough.
Happy Sunday everyone, regardless of your faith

or practices thereof.
Embrace and enjoy and nurture your communities, friends.
Hope, love and good deeds to all.




Like
Comment
Share

No comments: