The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Seven Days Between

 



Well, well.

What a week of ambiguity it's been. Here on the dawn of a truly spectacular Sunday morning, I find myself humbled by the reminder that this recent string of events has provided.

"In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the LORD establishes their steps."
Proverbs 16:9

It's been a time to 'put my money where my mouth is' so to speak (or spend), and own up to my convictions that I follow God's lead, not the other way around. Sometimes we pray as if we expect God to do things the way we want them to go. Almost as if we could tell God how to do His job.

But this week has been a 'hands up and open' exercise of faith and trust. Very intimate place to be, by the way. Fully surrendered. To be honest, I have welcomed the 'harsh reality' of pain and human frailty to bring this home again for me. Most of the time I live in relative ease, risking such claims as hollow, or merely just the things 'good Christians' are supposed to say.

This morning I am feeling stronger and more physically functional than I have in days. The only 'packing' I have left to do is all that needs to be left until the last minute anyways. Almost everything is checked off the list.

In just a few hours I'll join the 'online only' service at Highview Community, delivering the sermon about pioneer missionary to Thailand, Daniel McGilvary in the first of a series called "Lives of the Saints."

And yes, you read that right. Online only. Google Meet. We are not meeting in person as a faith community today, and that brings me to the next part of 'humans planning their course' deal.

Many folks in both congregations that met together last Sunday in our two-church service to worship and enjoy a community meal --have since tested positive for COVID. ( It's still a thing, friends.)

One of those is one of our Thailand Team Members, Megan. Yes, this means she's not going to be on the plane with us.

After months of planning and budgeting and eager anticipation.

I'd say 'I can't even', but the truth is I can totally. It's exactly the space I've been all week, waiting to hear reports from tests until got the all clear from my doctor. The disappointment cuts. It's a bit disorienting, truth be told.

And. I commend Megan for her honesty and tenacity in all our conversations yesterday, starting with the first fresh knowledge of her positive test. I'll leave it to her to tell her own story in her own ways. But this is a strong woman.

Then, to all my beautiful peeps at Highview, and also of course to my new friends at Iglesia Jesu es El Salvador, I offer my prayers and love in hopes you will be soon restored to full health. As I heard word this week, and your names came to my attention in the growing list of those affected, my heart felt for every one of you.

What a week it's been indeed.
We never know what lies between the seven days in any given week.
Good thing we know the One who does.

No comments: