The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, August 4, 2026

When You're Not Sure a Volunteer is Working Out

 


This sounds like it's going to a post about ministry life or working for a non-profit.  But right now I'm talking about corn.

Volunteer corn, to be precise, which is a real thing for farmers, apparently.  On a farm, it's that corn that grows from a stray seed that lasted all winter and is now growing in the same field alongside a different crop.  Farmers don't like this.

My volunteer corn is growing in my front garden, an accidental contribution from the birdseed mix I've been using since the spring.  Two or three healthy-looking stalks have decided they'll offer their presence alongside the flowers in the little bed I planted in May.

Unlike the farmers, I'm not sure if I'm liking this.  Maybe I am?

On the one hand, this will grow very tall, is not placed in any pleasing symmetry, and will certainly draw nutrients away from the plants around it.

On the other hand, if I leave it alone, I can determine whether or not I actually do want some taller decorative grass and/or bushes in this space (a consideration in some of my original plans), and I will have some home grown decorations come fall.  Bonus!

I am still deciding.

Here's how it looks with the rest of the flowers.  Mind the mess around the edges.  I'm still doing some heavy duty weeding since we've been away for quite a while.



You can see there are three other smaller stalks doing a thing.  If anyone wants to offer their thoughts, I'm all ears (see what I did there?).

I do not for a minute think I'll get any actual cob from this, not for eating anyways.  It's the kind of corn they throw into a bird seed mix, not the kind that is tenderly raised for our autumn tables alongside the butter.  Still, it might be fun to find out?

Of course, back to the fact that my post title could indeed be an article about serving with human volunteers...

This too can be a problem.  In any environment, for any cause, volunteers are of incalculable worth.  Kudos and thanks and all manner of glad wonderment go to those who do not seek financial remuneration for all that astounding work that gets done in all sorts of sectors.

And.  There are those times when a volunteer seems to be out of place.  Could even be doing more damage than good.  Personality, or lack of experience, or just not a good fit, or unresolved personal issues can hinder the work, negatively affect the culture of the place, and even harm the reputation of a church or organization.  What then?

Pastor Lory Beth Huffman submitted a helpful article to Lewis Center for Church Leadership with a very similar title to this post (which, as 'corny' at it seems, I came up with before searching her out, honest), "When Volunteers Aren't Working Out".  I appreciate her insights, and leave it to you to check her out if you need to.

From my own experience of being a volunteer and supervising volunteers over several decades, I would perhaps add or emphasize two points only.

1.  Make sure volunteers are treated with respect and thanks, every chance you get.
This starts with clear expectations laid out, as much advance notice as you can on things, lots of clear communication, and proper training.  And pour out the praise when folks get it right.

2.  Be a volunteer that adds to the cause in every way you possibly can.
Show up on time.  Be faithful to commitments.  Bring positive energy and a Christ-likeness to even the most menial of tasks.  Work with your teammates as if they matter.  Say yes to opportunities that stretch you.

Basic stuff, I know.  Mostly, when I think of volunteers, I am just in awe of the outlandish generosity of the folks I've had the privilege to serve with.

As for my corn?  I will keep you posted.  We're not here for enough days to see any significant growth in the stalks before returning to the cottage.  But come September...if I let it stay, which I'm leaning towards right now...I'll post more pictures, just for fun.

It was a good day yesterday, the first back in the city for a bit.  Incredible weather.  And the holiday Monday was a like a little buffer before the rest of the week pans out in all its joyful-tasks glory.

Stay well, friends.
There's still a lot of summer left.


No comments: