The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's Not the Freddy Channel But.....


I may have found a new place for some quiet reflection that has an almost-dock by some water.

Realizing again how much better I connect with my own soul and with God when I'm outdoors, and wanting to take advantage of this ongoing summer weather, I went searching after my swim this morning for a greenish, quietish place in a park somewhere.

I landed in Waterloo Park and discovered the waterside boardwalk. Since it was just after daybreak, it was just me and two ducks under the shelter. I spent about an hour there, reading and journaling and looking up occasionally when I heard a large splash. Never did see the fish jump, just the ring of ripples on the flat, murky surface. Sounds big enough to be a little scary, actually.

I think I'll try again tomorrow morning. Won't be a swim day, though. With the Waterloo Swimplex still closed for repairs and maintenance, I am doing my laps at the Breithaupt Pool (no discount, rats!). They are only open for lane swims Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But it's still three days out of five regularly, and that will have to do. Nice pool, good showers, and some of my swimming buddies are there, plus a new fellow-swimmer who was kind enough to help me out when the lockers kept eating my quarters.

Back to the almost-dock by the water.

I'm reading through Jeremiah right now. Got to admire that dude. Kept on preaching even when no one would listen. At a few points, the people actually wanted to kill him! A pastor these days would definitely count that as reason to retire. I need Jeremiah. He's real honest about his frustrations, but he doesn't quit. He inspires me.

Going to take a camping chair tomorrow though. The bench, while new and clean, is also a bit hard and a bit high (for my stumpy little legs).

And I'll have to think of a name for those two ducks.

No comments: