The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, August 30, 2010

So Many Books, So Little Time

"Please Remember," the sign says. "The entire Library is a quiet zone."

Remember? That's why I'm here! I have established a 'new' Monday place to be, and it's here, surrounded by the books at Heritage Seminary Library. I know. You can call me a geek but you wouldn't be the first, and likely won't be the last. But there's a soul-filling quality to the noise- protected, word-filled, info-lavish environment that is this place. And I'm making a declaration for my Mondays to be spent here, whenever possible, and making it so.

Since coming back from eight weeks away, I have noticed some differences in me. One is a lack of being completely tanked at the end of something that normally would have spent me. Friday nights, Sundays at noon, a particularly challenging meeting, a non-Highview speaking engagement, a people-filled event. Even with fully four weeks of real life behind me, I am benefiting from the rested-to-the-core energies that remain. This is the extent of the gift I was granted this summer, and I am so grateful still.

I have also noticed something about how I should be spending my Mondays. Perhaps I'm more aware now, in a post-loa head space, of what I need. And what I need is to be alone on Mondays. Running errands, medical appointments, and other very good and necessary tasks of life, even playing with grandchildren, will have to wait until another day. Monday is mine. And I need to be alone.

So, after my swim, after sitting by the water, weather permitting, I will head here on Mondays and rest in the quietness of the books and the light and the space and the easy chairs, to read and think and write and study and be.

I miss the dock for sure. But how cool that God is providing little spaces of cottage right here in the midst of my city life.

2 comments:

Juanita said...

Ruth Anne...that's is so neat. I hear such a healthiness in your spirit....so good.

And by the way...the Library doesn't sound like a geeky place to be. :)

Juanita

Anne said...

And now, if there was only a library on water with a dock that you could read on . . . heaven on earth !

Lovin the books with you

Anne