The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, July 22, 2013

Covenant of Place

Is green as good as blue?

I'm pondering that deep thought here on my back patio, missing the water very much but amazed at how lush our yard is this year.

In keeping with good rhythms and in the spirit of preserving as much of this restedness as I can, I am observing my Monday Sabbath and won't be back into the office until Tuesday. (Yes, even though I've just finished five weeks away. ;)

Part of that holy observation for me on this particular Monday is the reclaiming of some outdoor space. A big part of what connects me with myself and with my God at the cottage is being outdoors so much of the time. Only the rain or a persistently prevailing wind will keep me in.

When I get home, it's the being indoors all day that I feel the most. That and missing the water. So I have spent some of yesterday and part of today sweeping and setting and staging in an attempt to make a "Covenant of Place", as St. Benedict described. A place of focus where meditation and solitude can anchor me. A place of stability and constancy. A place for me to be me....outside.

Certainly the cottage is my place of dwelling IN God. A place that doesn't change and as such is deeply centering. There is stability and constancy for me there, year after year.

During the winter, I'm fond of the fireplace. My office corner with the little chair and a cup of tea beside me...that's a place of focus.

But right now, while the weather is still so good, I need to be outside. So that's what I've been working on.

It's not done yet. I need more inspiration, and I'm thinking this might be a slow and meditative process of itself. But it's a start.

Blue is better than green, but green is also full of life and growth and lavish goodness from the Creator.

Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

No comments: