The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Freedom of God

"There is a great and subtle temptation to suggest to myself or others where God is working and where not, when he is present and when not, but nobody, no Christian, no priest, no mink, has any "special" knowledge about God. God cannot be limited by any human concept or prediction. He is greater than our mind and heart and perfectly free to reveal himself where and when he wants.". Henry Nouwen in The Genesee Diary

----

I have now joined the ranks of those who frequently quote Henry Nouwen :). Part of the required reading for a course I am taking in the fall is his complete and unabridged journal, kept while sequestered away at a Trappist monastery in Kentucky for seven months in 1974. I am finding his reflections and ruminations both quieting and disturbing.

I'm not sure exactly which of those this particular quote does for me.

It is arrogance-shattering (as is most of his experience at the monastery) and therefore shakes me some. I realize just how much I can begin to believe that I understand God well enough to figure out where and when He's working. It's an occupational hazard, perhaps, as it seems important to be able to tell this. How else can I form my strategies, lay out plans, determine the next set of priorities, if not by discerning where God is working and joining Him there? And while, in this particular period of his life, Nouwen espouses a different style of service to God than that to which I am currently called, I don't think he'd suggest abandoning any sense of watchfulness for the movement of the Holy Spirit in the spiritual responsibility of pastoring a church.

Still, I agree. No one can claim that "special" knowlege of God, not even my charismatic friends who call themselves prophets, not even someone who is called pastor by their community. It is wise to step back and remember this. The arrogance of presuming which sermon "worked" and which didn't, what experience of worship is effective and which isn't, what leadership structure or decision-making process is "godly" and which is "of the flesh". God isn't bound by any of it.

He's free, perfectly free to reveal Himself at any time to any person by any means.

That's liberating. Doesn't mean I don't keep watching and asking and seeking out the ways God is touching the lives of the people I love and lead. But it does mean that I keep my mind open to ALL the ways God might be moving and revealing Himself.

-----

Another spectacular sunrise this morning. I love how the lilies open themselves up to the potential of each new day.
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

No comments: