The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, December 10, 2023

O Come, O Come Emmanuel

 

Jet lag is still a thing and I'm up too early. But this morning I am making good use of it to prepare my spirit to engage in worship with my Highview peeps for this second Sunday in Advent.
I also have the privilege of preaching this morning, about how God came "Home for Christmas." And the wonder of it, as I meditate on these things in the early darkness of dawning, is not lost on me.
It's been important for me this week to press into and accept the sense of being 'behind' in Christmas preparations, and lean into what it means to simply be 'at home.' Home here in my abundant Canadian life where I enjoy blessings impossible to number.
Gradually the externals are coming along. Yesterday, late afternoon, I pushed back the brain-fog to just be outside and clear off the porch of November's leftovers. A few simple strands of lights, nothing spectacular at all, but, yes, now at least the front of the house looks more welcoming and hopeful.
But it's in internal things I need most right now.
"Rejoice! Rejoice!
Immanuel will come to thee, O Israel."
It's the hopeful refrain of the ancient hymn having its origins in monastic life in the 8th or 9th centuries.
It's quiet in the mornings, this early.
I don't mind.
Home for Christmas.
God came home for Christmas.
With us.
Emmanuel.
God with us.
Where He longs to be.

Like
Comment
Share

No comments: