The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, December 18, 2023

The Outlandish Possibilities of a Not-As-Planned Christmas

 



I'll say it right up front. A green Christmas is way easier for anyone travelling to family gatherings. So there's that.

And.

I am in that category of people who prefers a white Christmas.

Looking at the weather forecasts for this week before the 'Big Day', I can't quite tell what it's going to be. Some snow today? Overnight? But probably not enough to sustain a bit of rain predicted for later in the week? Any sleet or ice? Oh my, let's not have a repeat of last Christmas Eve!

So you see how it goes. I want snow, but kind of 'made to order.' The 'on-cue', harmless fluffy stuff sometimes referred to as 'Hollywood snow.' Yes. That would make for a 'perfect' Christmas.

And of course, when I write it all out like that, it's so obvious that the weather is completely out of my control. I can put up the sign and the antique sled on my porch, and then wait in eager anticipation. But the outcome is way beyond my pay grade.

Thing is, if I'm not careful, I can start to think about other Christmas expectations, and how I want all that to be 'perfect' too. Am I the only one? And is it just Christmas that provokes this desire for everything to be 'just so?'

Yet so much of what I am hoping for is really not my job, and not at all within my power to make happen, even as I strive to make it so. No amount of exquisite planning (something I am lacking this year, by the way) can 'make' people respond the way I am hoping, or solve the problems that might encroach on our Christmas happiness, or....whatever else it is that is going to mess with my 'Hollywood snow' vignette.

And actually, to take it to another level, that's not at all how I want to live. Not at Christmas. Not at all.

The very first Christmas has as a pivotal point in the story that is a moment of completely the opposite. If the human tendency is to attempt to control our environments in order to suit ourselves, then Mary demonstrates a complete about-face. A moment of all-out, hands-open, heart-surrendered release. This young girl, with her future basically mapped out in front of her, about to be launched into her adult life, hears God's outlandish plans for her, risks it all and says:

"I am the Lord's servant. Be it unto me as you have said."
Luke 1:30

The very first Christmas was about utter abandonment to things
not-as-planned.

These reflections bring much comfort to my not-ready-for-Christmas-according-to-my-type-A-first-born-expectations soul this year. Mary reorients me towards a green Christmas, and all the other ways I haven't been able to engage in the season as I normally love to do.

Don't get me wrong. The house is finally looking Christmassy enough (hence the decor on the porch pictured here). I've been able to simplify gift giving. And - sorry folks - I'm NOT doing Christmas cards this year.

On Sunday at Highview there was such a warm, truly joyful vibe, not just in the service but before and after too; so much part of why I love my faith community so fiercely. And there's still the Let It Be Christmas presentations coming. And our family's gathering plans have fallen into pleasant places. Lots of love there for us, and I do not take that for granted.

So, snow or no, ready or not, Christmas will be all it needs to be, as long as I keep my heart open to all the outlandish possibilities God might want to bring.

No comments: