The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, March 25, 2011

Caught Between Two Worlds

It's not a bad place to be. I'm starting to pack, both my suitcases and my heart, in preparation for tomorrow's long ride home. Calling to confirm the flight, checking off lists to make sure I have all the Sponsors' letters, thinking through what I can leave behind in the bin I now leave here for storage of personal and future Team needs.

But thinking about home and being here still, it's like being caught between two very different worlds. Which isn't a bad place to be.

I feel a deep sense of having cooperated with God in His purposes for this trip. I have succeeded, to the best of my ability, to convey our love and support to Hot Springs. The Sponsors' packets are always a big hit, and I'm still seeing yo yos and balloons and stickers. I'm pretty sure the candy is gone by now:). The video taken by Megan of various Highviewers saying Hi, was a HUGE hit.

Every time I can, with the little Thai I know, and as often as possible through an interprter, I tell them. There is a whole church of people in Canada who love you and pray for you and want God's best for you.

I've observed the improvements in the basic standard of living, improvements brought by the combined efforts of Highview, a generous couple named Doug and Laurie Schinkle of Guelph, and the indirect but significant contribution from the Korean Methodist Church. But mostly, the improvements are due to the faithfulness and diligence of Suradet and Yupa and the children themselves. They have worked hard to maximize the potential of this property. They raise fish, frogs and chickens for food. The garden is amazing. There are mature mango, papaya and banana trees here. And it's all being utlized as a means of feeding and training the children. I can bring back a thorough report to the Elders, and send my commendations to Asia's Hope.

So I've done and seen all that. Plus I've let God speak and move, do damage and then healing in my heart. So much so that it will take more blogs, more private journalling, more talking with soul friends, to fully explore it all. But I have no sense of urgency, no pressure points. Just a very large understanding of the rightness of my being here right now for this time.

So in this in between time, as I sit in the shade of the morning, ready to leave for an event at another church (I think), the sounds of Hot Springs - clucking hens, tree frogs, exotic birds, Thai voices, chopping from the outdoor kitchen, cars along the road - I happily BE in this between space for now.

God is so good.
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

1 comment:

Meg said...

*Note: Heidi and I took the videos together! :) Haha. Glad they were a hit!