For many, probably obvious reasons, September always feels like a new beginning. Despite the forest heading into shut down, many other rhythms of autumn are starting fresh.
No doubt it's mostly all those childhood memories of school, and then our years as a homeschooling family, and then my own long and prolonged academic pursuits lasting well, well into my adult years. September is new books, and new schedules, and, if I think about it enough, even the whiff of new pink erasers. (Bet some of you can smell them too, now that I said it.)
I'm no longer in school. But I do love a fresh September reset of my office space. An extra effort to tuck away any loose papers (yes, I still have some binders), sorting and tidying those office supply drawers, finding better systems to have the stapler and hole punch handy, and a thorough wipe down and dust off of my desk top and books.
Despite having two significantly-important-but-not-urgent tasks still left unchecked on my list and no time until Monday to get at them, I chose the luxury of clearing out and freshening up my work space yesterday afternoon. Took my time. Enjoyed the simplicity of it. Was mindfully present in the moments of it. Letting it be September. Feeling as clear headed and ready for the season ahead as my desk.
A doctor I once had the privilege to work for (in a long ago life I was a medical transcriptionist, true thing), was notoriously and ridiculously disorganized, particularly in terms of his office and desk. And he was brilliant. And we all respected him and he got the job done with excellence.
And while there appears to be fascinating thought about the psychological effects of a tidy workspace, and also the connection between intelligence and messy spaces -- the debate about which I won't address here but leave to your own exploration if you like -- I know for a fact that I can't think clearly in clutter.
So. Big sigh of satisfaction. My office is ready, and now I feel ready.
And I bet those two tasks get done more efficiently on Monday anyways.
Giving myself space.
Embracing small joys.
Wishing for you simple pleasures as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment