The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

The Little Things That Aren't Little At All

 


"Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters
cannot be trusted with important matters."
Albert Einstein

When a kid does something that's just decent and good, you want to say something about it.

But first you need to try to imagine the happy chaos of being with about 12 children who are all working hard on their English reading, writing and comprehension skills -- all at the same time.  I'm on my own this trip.  No such luxury of dividing up into groups with competent and eager English-speaking members of the Team.  No such assistance from "Crew Cher-o" (our experienced English learning specialist who's been twice before).  Just me, setting out the notebooks and activities Cheryl has designed for us, and then, as they arrive one by one, immersing myself in the happy buzz of kids figuring things out.



My job is to supervise as best I can, then, when a task is complete, provide a check on their card.  Once the card is filled up with thirty checks in total, they can select a prize from the basket later on during evening worship time. They work hard for this.  It's a big deal.

The challenge comes when they are finished one task and ready to go on to the other, but have to stop by me first for their check.  If too many finish at one time, I've got several little eager voices calling my name, and it's easy to lose track of who's completed what.  I do my best, and I'm pretty careful.  Don't worry, they will certainly make sure I don't miss any check marks on their card.

And then there's Jonah.  


Yesterday they had two printing assignments to add their notebooks.  Most of the children completed both of them before coming to me for two checks.  Jonah, however, did it one at a time.  But the second time he came for a check mark, I had forgotten about already doing so for the first assignment and just gave him two checks automatically.

He stopped me.

No, Ahjahn Ruth.  I only get one this time.

Okay, just stop here for a second.  I know this seems small.  One little check amongst thirty.  It would have been so easy for him to let my mistake slide for his benefit.  I mean, it's just one little checkmark, right?  But he didn't.

I made a point of commending him in that moment.  And I also mentioned it again in front of everyone later that night at evening worship.  Now I'm bragging on him to you.  Because we can't let little things like that go unnoticed.  If we want to raise up people of integrity; if we want to teach and model honesty, let's celebrate it when it happens.

Jonah (right) waiting his turn for popcorn, 
with Jua (left) and Tharit (centre).

One more thing.

Our kids come from places of neediness, most of them.  It would be so easy for them to stay into survival mode and think and behave in ways that are understandably self-serving and tight.  When they can relax and come at life with a gentle confidence that allows space for waiting, space for honesty, space for others, it's a particularly encouraging sign that they feel loved and secure.  And this is huge.  A small thing, but a huge deal.

Today our English time will be reading only.  Just to change it up.  We have been given a great gift of many books designed especially for early readers, provided to us by Pat Harrison of Blueberry Hill Books for which we are so grateful.










No comments: