The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Saturday, September 5, 2026

It Was Just a Little One

 


My husband would say that this is one of those stories I should keep to myself if I want to convince people to come along for a visit.  But in the interest of full transparency, and mostly because I find this kind of thing fascinating and a teeny bit fun, here goes.

It really was just a little one, waiting for me in the drain as I got ready for my shower.  So small I thought at first it was just a large worm, and almost reached in to pick it up and deal with it on my own.  But, remembering where I am after all, I sprayed a little water on it to see if it was even alive.

When it curled up quickly in a mini striking position, the gig was up.  Yup, a snake.  Just a little one, or did I say that already?  But not knowing for sure exactly what I might be dealing with, and knowing that some venomous creatures are actually more potent in their smaller forms, something like jalapeno peppers, I went to fetch someone who might help me out of this small-but-slithery situation.

Found Yupa first, and told her in a joking kind of way, "Excuse me, but I really don't want to shower with a snake."  She didn't hesitate.  Grabbed the nearest bamboo stick and went ahead of me like the mighty hero she is.

My apologies to all herpetophiles for what comes next.


It only took three or four thunks, and the problem was solved.  Yupa says this is not a venomous snake, but Thais have a policy of 'deal with' first, ask questions later, due to the large number of snakes generally speaking, and how it's more likely that any given snake will be dangerous than not.  

Despite the fact that I am highlighting this little event right out of the gate on this visit, you need to know that this didn't phase me. Don't be impressed.  It was not even in the same ballpark as the time I finished my shower to discover a decent sized scorpion had joined me at one point, brazen little thing!  That time the teenage girls took care of it for me with the handle of the toilet brush.  Just another day in a tropical climate out in a more rural setting I guess.  By now, having done this for 18 years, I should hope a little snake in the drain wouldn't be too much of a thing.

As I mentioned in yesterday's Highview to Thailand post Yay For Everything, I am feeling amazingly good.  Jet lag is definitely a thing, yes, but I slept very well this first night, which is usual but helpful.  Today is Sunday and I have zero expectations on me, except to give a little hello (hopefully in Thai if my brain kicks into gear) to the beautiful souls who gather here for worship, and then later, after supper, to begin our series on 'In Style With Jesus" with the children.  Lots of space and exactly the right kind of gentle in which to recover for this first day.

One great feature for me personally is how quickly I can feel all settled in and at home.  Like I never left.  

Looking forward to a great day!!!
Grateful to be here, and grateful for every bit of love and support I receive from so many of you to do this thing I get to do!!!

Hope all my Canadian friends are having a great Labour Day weekend!

No comments: