The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Home

I think God is hilarious that He would have me come home to snow! After sweating it out in the Thai humidity for the past two weeks, it's quite the weather-shock to arrive to temperatures hovering around freezing and enough of the stuff on the ground to look like winter.

But I'm home. My flights were smooth and effortless. Thank you so much for all your prayers. I made every connection in good and time - get this - every single flight I sat beside an empty seat! That's just SO much more comfortable! Felt like a going home gift from God.

There's an aching though, and it's not my backside, (although there's that too).
The good bye at the airport yesterday afternoon was way harder than I thought it would be. I kept it together. Didn't want to upset the kids, Miki especially who was crying already when I left Hot Springs on Sunday. It wasn't until I was on the plane rolling down the tarmac that it hit me, and it was really big.

Our kids, Suradet and Yupa, Thailand itself, all God is doing there and all He's allowing us to be a part of, it's real and it's profound and it's happening for me in deeper places of my soul now, since I've been here. And it's hard, so hard, to say good bye. My heart hurts.
I'll write some more once my head stops spinning. I'm going to take today to sleep some and unpack some and just take it easy. I can't wait to see you all, but I hope I don't monopolize every conversation now for the rest of....my life! There are so many stories! Perhaps we need a signal. Since I am significantly "riced out" to use Dave Driver's term, maybe that's all you need to say. If I'm talking too much about Hot Springs kids or about Thailand or about my experiences in the next few weeks, all you have to say is, "Ruth Anne, I'm just a bit "riced out" right now." I'll get it. I don't think I could look another grain of rice in the eye right now. In fact, I think I will pledge to show my devotion to Christ by fasting from rice from now until then next time I'm in Thailand. That would be just fine.

Again, thank you, thank you thank you for all you've done to help me get there and stay sane while I'm there, supporting me and praying for me, and sending me your comments and e-mails. It all made for a wonderful, amazing, God-filling time.

See you soon.

Ruth Anne

2 comments:

tanyasz said...

I'm so glad you're safely home. I was thinking how "funny" it was that you'd be coming home to snow after two weeks of sweltering heat.
I can only imagine how hard it must of been to leave them all. You'll have to watch the videos you took over and over until you go back :-)
Thanks for being "Grandma Ruth" to all of the those kids! And thanks again for all the blog updates...it's almost like I was there, but without the heat and the bugs :-)
You're amazing for letting God take you there!!

Ashley said...

so glad to hear that everything went well with saying good-bye and the flights home. I pray that God gives you the strength and insight as you enter back into the relationships with family and friends and your pastoral duties at church. May He continue his blessings as you bless so many others!