The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wiang Pa Pao Unplugged

I am back in Chiang Mai after about 48 hours at a retreat for all the children 4th grade and up, held at the "farm" Asia's Hope has in a place called Wiang Pa Pao. Our February 2008 Team will remember it well. It was where we went with Sherrod to do the outreach clinic, spending a quiet, mystical afternoon in the Thai countryside, caring for the sick who came from the village there.

This time, however, the scene was completely different! A full band and all the equipment were set up outside under a tent. Sixty seven children and probably about 25 adults, Staff and visitors like me, invaded the property for worship, skits, various speakers (of which I participated twice), and a hilarious re-enactment of the Good Samaritan (the theme of the retreat) by Asia's Hope Staff.

Our kids from Hot Springs were there. So it was a perfect time to get to know them a little bit, and break the ice before I invaded their space. Having a little notebook always nearby is really helpful because you can draw pictures, write down words in Thai or English, which they can do,


and then, when the conversation comes to any sort of lag whatsoever, you can just hand them the book and your pen and ask them to draw you a picture. They love it!

This is all about the girls so far. I'm still trying to find my "in" with the boys. The youngest is Yingjareun, who's nickname is "Fruk" - said with a long u sound which helps a little, if you catch my drift. He was wearing one of our Discovery Day Camp hats we'd sent last May (with Tutu) and when I saw it, I made a great big deal of it. He laughed. He's really, really cute! And if it he wasn't already cute enough, he has just the slightest of lisps. Sort of like a very young Ron Howard in The Music Man trying to sing "Oh ho the Welth Fargo Wagon ith a-comin' down the sthreet...." (You broadway musical fans will know what I'm talking about.) Only in Thai, of course.

A very cool "I am in a very far away place moment" this afternoon was at the dedication service for the house Asia's Hope has built for the couple who manage the Wiang Pa Pao farm. While it was happening, one of the boys pulls out this bug. Okay, this is THE biggest bug I have ever seen up close and personal in my LIFE!


Anyways, they were playing with it like it was a hamster! I was very kindly offered a turn to let it me my "little friend", but I said no thanks. I'm not sure if my picture is good enough, but if someone wants to do a bit of research and look this up, let me know what kind of bug that was! (None of this is meant to discourage any potential Team members for our next trip, by the way :)

Besides the wild bug moments, there are many, many God-moments in all of this, too. In fact, to try and sort them out and even decide which ones I want to write about is almost impossible. For one thing, I'm trying to let them sit in my soul for a bit, wanting them to brew like a good cup of tea, listening as best I can for the flavour God will release.

For now, let me just say that I'm fairly convinced that to stand under a tent in the Thai countryside, before a group of 67 Asian children, with their caregivers, while they out loud and all at once pray blessings and thanksgivings over you.....Man! That's about as close to hearing the sounds of heaven as you can get.

So, what's next? Tonight I am living in luxury again, compared to the Thailand camping experience. (I showered with a snail this morning. He was really big and fat and stuck to the wall just above my head. Hey....at least there WAS a shower, Roger!) I am doing some laundry and repacking to head to Hot Springs tomorrow. I will stay there until Sunday, so...once again...I am not sure how the internet connections will go. I will do my best.

However, this time, I promise to actually bring my blackberry. (sheepish grin) Forgot to take it to the retreat. But then again, it wasn't a bad thing to be unplugged from everything for just a little bit. Doesn't mean I wasn't thinking of you though. Getting back on line was the first thing I did when I got up to my room, for sure. Thank you all so much for posting your comments and sending the e-mails. I love and need to hear from you.

We're going out for supper tonight at a place where apparently you can order lasagna and stuff. Sounds good to me. I can only eat so much rice!

3 comments:

Roger said...

Nice Bug. Bug. B. Bug begins with B. I really think you should keep the big bug for your next school lesson. Something like...

Born-to-Blog Breithaupt brags aBout being befuddled by bad-but-beautiful big bugs.

With a bit of work you should be able to get the word BlackBerry into the lesson plan as well ;-)

As for snails ... at least they move slowly.

Roger

Kim said...

I'm no entomologist, but it looks like a Hercules Beetle to me. Well named, don't you think?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for letting me know about your blog. I have loved reading about your trip and knowing up the minute what you're experiencing.

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Love you,
Kim

Anne said...

I"m just imagining how much God is smiling when He looks down and sees all the children He loves - and you right in the middle of them.

Loving you

Anne

P.S. There are flakes of snow in the air today.

P.P.S. There were NO bugs at the lovely bed and breakfast I stayed at. (Hah . .. another B . .. and different from any of Roger's !)