The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Under the Tree


At this point in my time in Thailand I'm experiencing that strange sense of loss of time differentiation. Have I been here for days? Or have I always lived here? Kind of feels like both. Probably because the past two days have been so full of life experiences, it SHOULD take months to have done it all. Yet it's still all so strange and new.
Yesterday's experiences were mostly all about the Dedication Service at Doi Saket, for the Education Centre there. By the way. It was a Canadian couple that made the donation, asking that, in lieu of wedding presents, people made a donation to Asia's Hope. How cool is that. The Centre is already in use, but still needs some final "setting up to do." It provided the large and wonderful room we used for the preschool ESL lesson Friday morning.

The service was full and big, held outside under awnings set up for the occasion, the front porch of the new building providing the "stage". There was a full band (Derek - you would so have loved to play with these guys) and we sang lots and lots of songs. I've been trying to follow along making the sounds of the Thai words as we sing. The effect is a little alarming, actually. Sounds like maybe I've had a stroke or something. But if I don't belt it out too loud, I actually look a little like I'm "fitting in".

Our Hot Springs children were there.! They sang a song they had practiced and I got it on tape. It was a great morning to be able to get to know them a little better. They are so shy of me!!! I guess I wasn't expecting that so much. The children at Doi Saket just come and swarm you. Our Hot Springs kids, not so much.

However, after the service there was lunch and then fruit for snacks outside. The girls had gathered at one of the tables under the trees, and when I came up to them, one of the older girls, Teh (she's the newest at Hot Springs) moved over and patted the seat beside her for me to sit down. She then handed me something. It looked like a peeled onion. She indicated that I was to eat it. There wasn't anyone around for me to ask what it was in English, but I had seen it peeled (you're not supposed to bite into anything through the peel, not if you're a weak-stomached farang), so I took a chance. I guess it was like a sweet water chestnut. Anyways....not only did I NOT get sick, but that was the first step into a careful half hour of making friends with the girls.

They are being so encouraging about my attempts to learn Thai. Narisara (her nickname is Thim) had a bracelet with coloured beads. So I asked her to teach me the names of the colours. Yellow is the hardest. It's supposed to sound like see-leung, but the eu sound in that second syllable isn't one we make in English. Apparently I am quite a source of amusement for them when I try to say it :).

After that, I got a piece of paper and showed them what I could write. We started having them write down, in Thai, their names, and I've got it all down on paper to transfer into the rice paper journal prepared before I left.

It was probably the highlight of my day, just sitting under the tree in the yard at Doi Saket with our Hot Springs girls, getting to know them. I try not to stop and think about it too much. That I'm here. With them. Because it just makes me cry with amazement. That God would grant me the longings of my heart, to be here with our kids.....I'm overwhelmed by it. What an honour. What a gift. They are so pretty - soo-ay - all of them. I can look them in the eye, hug them tight when we say goodbye at the end of the day. I'm here.

Have I been here days or months or longer? My heart can't really tell. I only know that each new day brings boat-loads of life and love. And it's always in the simple things. Eating sticky rice wrapped in a banana leaf. Daring to use a Thai word or phrase and being understood. Biting into an unknown vegetable. Hearing the voices of the children singing. Being asked to sit down beside a lovely girl who's welcoming me into the circle. And totally, completely engaging with God in all of it.

Today promises to be another full day, as my interary posted in the last blog entry suggests. I do NOT expect to be able to blog for the next couple of days. Perhaps a quick report Tuesday night (Tuesday morning for most of you), after the retreat at Wiang Pa Pao, stopping back in for a shower and repacking before heading back out to Hot Springs. I will take my blackberry to see if I can send out a group e-mail. But no promises.

Thanks for your comments and e-mails. I feel so much better connected this time than last. That is such a bonus. I am eager for every chance I get with my computer to connect with you.

Love you all.

Ruth Anne

1 comment:

Juanita said...

Missed you this morning Ruth Anne...but I smiled when I saw your picture on the powerpoint, and Mark highlighted your adventure in Asia. Ian was amazing in his teaching and Poppy dramatic in her drama and Derek and his team powerful(oh, how I love "Majesty") We are in good hands(as you know!!)
It is another gorgeous autumn day here in Kitchener. God is here, there, and yes, everywhere. Quite mind-boggling.
Time for supper...
Love and prayers,
Juanita