The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, October 31, 2008

Making Good Use of the Jet Lag

With a sleeping/eating schedule all out of wonk, I figure I might as well use this bit of time at 4 a.m. when I'm wide awake, to gather some more thoughts as I continue to process and ponder. The truth of it is, God has provided just so much in terms of big and little moments while I was in Thailand, and even though I know I will never capture them all into words, I'd like to try to share with you as much as I can. It's all part of Year Two of Highview's Two Year Plan, that we STRENGTHEN our connections with the people in SE Asia (and Haiti too, but that's for another blog :) And since God's seems to have used this October trip to get us off to such a phenomenal start with strengthening our connections at Hot Springs, it seems prudent for me to open up that particular GANGWAY as wide as I can with my stories.

Let's go back to Hot Springs for a minute (how I wish I really could), to the afternoon when the children were writing their letters to their sponsors.

First, in the whole language "barrier" thing, I have to say that it really wasn't. Not between me and Suradet and Yupa, not between me and kids. There was such a commitment on everyone's part to be friends, that we all went over and above to try to understand and be understood. In fact, it might be said that if the same kind of commitment was made in all my relationships, there'd be way better communications all around. It seems to me now, back in an English-speaking world, that it was the attitudes and not the words that made the communications possible. That's something I'll have to think about some more.

So, somehow I communicate to Yupa that the sponsors would love to have a picture and/or letter from their individual children. I have my Thai/English dictionary, and I'm acting things out, but the request is greatly helped by the fact that there's really no Thai word for sponsor, they just use the English word, elongating the last syllable. So it sounds like "sponSORE".

Yupa's face lights up with understanding, and then she informs the children. There's no hesitation. They scatter for a minute and then they're all back with paper and pencils and markers (which they could use more of, by the way), each taking a spot at the table and setting to work.

This was no quick, barest minimum effort. This was an afternoon event. I never once had to remind any child who their sponsors were. They have your pictures and names in special places. They are keen to print things off in English whenever possible. The love colour, most of them and added as much as they could to their creations.

They talk a lot while they are working, enjoying the hot afternoon under the shelter, showing each other what they've done so far. When it gets to writing things down, several of them start running over asking me how to write certain things in English. Again, I am not even sure, trying to remember, how much they are saying in Thai that I now understand, and how much they are saying in English. I did find it helpful that I had learned at least a basic understanding of the Thai script because sometimes they would write simple words in Thai and I knew what sounds they were trying to express and could translate into English. Conversely, the studies they have been doing in English also proved helpful, not just that afternoon, but throughout the entire time I was with them.

As is normal among children, some are more creative and artsy than others. But, Sponsors, just know this. Every single letter/picture was given focused attention and effort that afternoon. You have a very significant role in their lives, and even though not everyone could be there with me this October, or may be able to come on future trips, the reality of your presence and the role you play in their lives is HUGE to them. You are very real people to them. There is an understanding that your compassion is directly connected to their survival, and they do not take this lightly.

I believe that understanding extends to our church as a whole, actually. Highview's interest in Hot Springs is clearly understood as a means by which God has and is answering the prayers of people facing great needs with few resources. Two years ago, Suradet and Yupa were fasting and praying in earnest for God's provision. Two years ago, we were fasting and praying, asking God to show us where in the world He would have us go. Our God is a very big God to have brought us together. Sitting there that afternoon, watching the Hot Springs children writing their letters, being right there in the midst of them, I was again in awe of how intimately, how beautifully God has answered our prayers.

The afternoon of letter writing was relaxed and easy with the kids. In fact, it was probably the moment when the boys especially, warmed up to me. As you can see by some of the crazy hamming it up in the pictures.

While every child took great pains to create something special for their sponSORE, I just have to mention three in particular.

Bao (Tawepon) is the baby, daughter of Suradet and Yupa. Two, going on three, she has remarkable concentration. Using leftover paint from one of the crafts I'd brought, she stayed focused and fascinated, making her painting. I have her on video doing this and will make sure we all get to see that. What a sweetie.

Sai (Pakamat) is the youngest girl other than Bao, and also spent the afternoon in a very seriously concentrated manner. Normally, she was not so concentrated, in a typical 9 year old girl kind of way. But the time and work she put into her letter seemed to reflect the depth of her thanks for someone to sponsor her.

Fruk (Yingjareun) is the youngest of the boys. He was so much fun to work with. He'd run over to me, asking how to spell a word, and then run back to spell it. And then two seconds later, he was back asking about another word. He wanted to get this just right.

I didn't get a chance to see all of what the children created. Some came with their envelopes already sealed. But I did get a picture of each one holding the evelope, and I'll print that off and put that in with a little "packet" for each sponsor, hopefully by the end of next week.

It all depends on the jet lag.

If you've experienced it, you know what I mean. It's as if your body doesn't know where you are, here or still where you've been. Resting and taking it easy is the only "cure". I'm not one to put up with sitting still for very long. But I have to confess, my body is whining at me still, and I've been told to listen to it. So, I guess I'd better.

But I find, as I did coming home last February, it's not just my body that's "jet lagged". My heart doesn't know where it is either. I'm keen to get back into a groove and move ahead with all of the enormously exciting and meaningful, happy occupations God has for me here. Highview, my family, my friends, all come with the wonderful complexities of life and ministry, making for a rich abundant life, as promised.

But something of me remains in the humid foothills of the Himalayas in a place called Hot Springs with 15 children and their amazing parents. Part of my heart won't let go of the longing to be with them. What a gift it has been to be with them.

No comments: