The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Waking Up In A Very Good Place

I woke up this morning with that lovely sense of being somewhere I really, really want to be. Like being a kid and you realize you're back at Grampa's farm, or back at summer camp. I'm here!

What a gift it is to be met by 15 orphans at the airport. Each has a rose for me and I am greeted by 15 little wais, timid soft voices saying "Sawadee,ka/kup", and a few hugs from the more outgoing ones. Yupa is especially warm and eager to share her affections with me. Suradet's face is beaming, and we manage a great deal of mutual delight, even though he's taller than me and I'm bumbling a bit with the fact that he tries to keep his head lower than mine. Makes for a more than normal weirdness in that hug approach thing. But all of it is hilarious and wonderful in my soul.

And oh. For those who were at Highview's service rehearsal last Sunday.....I did NOT forget the gum :). They were enchanted. All smiles, chewing enthusastically. I haven't told them I have about 6 more packs. What a great idea Anne. I truly felt like I was surrounded by all of you sending your love along in those first moments of hello.

Too soon it was time to get me to the Flinchum's house where I'm staying....so I could have a shower and unpack just a little. I will see the Hot Springs kids again on Saturday when they come back to Doi Saket for the dedication of the new Education Centre there. I am also attending the "retreat" planned for Sunday through Tuesday, to be held at the farm at Wiang Pa Pao. After that I will travel with them to Hot Springs to spend as much of the rest of my time there as possible. I am waiting to determine the best time to give them their packets from all of you who sponsor them. I want to do so when it's just the Hot Springs kids there, and I can have cameras ready, but will take my cues from Mike and from how it all flows. Getting better at that "go with the flow" thing. I know...some of you are saying "It's about time!"

The very little bit of Thai I've been studying all last winter and spring is actually coming in more handy than I would have thought. First, the little bit I memorized about only speaking a little Thai....they understand me when I say it! Yes they do! That's so encouraging! Of course the conversation comes to a screeching halt as soon as they ask me anything else....but oh well.

My being able to ask the question, What is your name? is a fabulous way to start with any of the kids. They really don't care at all if I can't say anything else, and some of them seem surprised and delighted that I've spoken to them in Thai. Of course, their soft little voices responding to my question can get lost and I have to ask them to repeat. One of the babies here, his name is Bang. He has the biggest eyes ever...I'll try to get a picture....and it's easy for me to remember his name because he always looks like a big bang just went off....eyes wide open watching for what comes next in his world.


There's a lot of excitement around Doi Saket this weekend. The new Education Centre here is being dedicated. Dave Atkins, Asia's Hope Executive Director, and a loyal friend of Asia's Hope, Glen Kelly from Montreal, are arriving tomorrow from Cambodia for the festivities which happens Saturday. Then, all the kids from grade four and up from all three of the Chiang Mai homes (Doi Saket I and II and Hot Springs) are headed to Wiang Pa Pao for the retreat starting Sunday.

The Staff here not only provide general love and care for the kids, but they are very much part of the programming for special events and daily devotions. So last night they were practicing the songs they'll be singing to and with the children at the weekend events. I got to sit in.

We are outside on the porch of the guest house at Doi Saket I. Imagine a good sized deck with wooden bench chairs all around, young adults all of them, some with their own babies playing the middle of us. One guitar, lots of great harmonies, especially from the young men, and some even songs I recognize. One in particular - Give Thanks - is sung in both Thai and English. I'm able to join in.

And now, let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich"
Because of what the Lord has done for us

It's hot and there is a fan set up even though we're outside. Locusts scream quietly from the trees, sort of a tropic background vocal effect. Babies happily move among us. The singing is strong and comforting and disturbing all at the same time.

It occurs to me that around this circle are people who have been far "weaker and poorer" than ever I've been....but also stronger and richer in so many profound and important ways.

I have so much to learn, so much to receive. Last time this angered me. No! We were here to contribute not take from! Seemed so unfair. Like really, really unfair. Except maybe I'm starting to finally clue in. Just because my life is full of the richness of God in terms of my material blessings does not necessarily mean I have it all. These are people with a wealth of faith and understanding and gentleness and spiritual depth that maybe, just maybe, God would see fit to use them to serve me, teach me, show me. It's embarrassing to admit how vulnerable this place of humility makes me feel. But I'm starting to recognize it as a good place to be.

So, I'm here. I woke up this morning in a very, very good place.

I will send you pictures...honest...as soon as I can figure out how to do that. [Edited Note: I figured it out! RAB]

Love to you all.

Ruth Anne

2 comments:

Anne said...

My heart is richer and bigger for God because of a place in Thailand. Cool.

Juanita said...

Dear Ruth Anne...if you actually receive this comment, it is thanks to Kristyn!!!!

I can hear the excitement in your voice as you write! So glad you are being enriched and enriching others. God has always desired that we do this for each other.

It's soon time for you to rest well before the next day begins.

Blessings on you...
Love, Juanita