The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

One Down, Two To Go


Well, it's 1:32 a.m. Kitchener time and I've safely arrived at the first stop...LAX in Los Angeles. It was truly an uneventful flight and the five hours actually seemed to go fast. There was more excitement checking in for the next leg though. China Airlines has different baggage restrictions and wouldn't allow my larger bag to be a carry on. (A $32.00 service charge applies to check my third bag.)

Yikes! My computer! My 3 days worth of clothing in case the baggage gets lost!!! Clean underwear! So in a flurry of activity I set about making hard and fast decisions about what to keep and what to let go. It was like one of those values clarification exercises we did in grade 10 sociology. Books verses stitching. Trail mix verses the goodie bag Jen Connor gave me. Quick, snatch some underwear! My skirt and top are stuffed into the bottom corner of my back pack. I'm sure I'll look a site when I get off the plane in Chiang Mai. But I have my toothbrush and deodorant and a good attitude, so all is well in the end. Although it was embarrassing doing all that infront of a crowd of at least 100 people behind me. What a zoo!

They'll let me carry on my computer, so I've got it safe and sound right here with me. I couldn't bear to think of losing my opportunity to connect with you all. And this is my longest layover, my best chance to stop and say hello. [Note to Asia Team 2008: I'm in the SAME lounge at the SAME Gate (104) we were at last time through. No guff!!! Feels like home to me. Wait, that reminds me of a song!]

I'm not that tired, actually. Those who know my reputation for insomina won't be surprised. In fact, sometimes I wonder if being chronically reluctant to sleep is a bonus for this kind of trip. The next flight is 13 hours plus, so probably I'll doze off then.

So far, I've just been trying to use the time to slow down my brain. The preparations for this trip, although far easier in so many ways than our first time out as a Team, still demanded much, especially in this last week. The fall start up for Highview was particularly demanding, I found. I think others are feeling it too, and glad that the first series and the first thrust back into our new season is successfully completed and we can all ease back a bit before Christmas.

So, mostly this afternoon, I just sat still for 5 hours. All the way from Toronto to Los Angeles, I sat still. "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 So I did me some God-knowing today. Also read through all the Scriptures Hilda included in her letter, very encouraging, very "stilling", Thanks Hilda, so much.

It still boggles my mind how fantastic He is to have connected two churches, Hot Springs and Highview, to partner with Him to care for the orphans He's so crazy about. Half way around the world from each other. Who knew?

And here I go again. I asked God today to do whatever He felt needed doing in me. Whatever is so important that He has to get me half way around the world to show me and teach me and break me and grow me....I told Him to go ahead. I know...one of those crazy prayers, but oh well.

On another note, on the family front, He was beautifully answering prayers this morning (Tuesday morning) towards a new kind of being together for us. It's a delicate process and requires so much wisdom, so much discernment, so much that seems way beyond us. Yet He provides, in His time, His way. I am grateful.

Okay.....next time I connect I'll be off the continent. It's a 4 hour layover in Taipei.

Talk to you then.

Ruth Anne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love ya mom,

miss you.
yer son ,
-dave